First time build problems. Help!

Iniba

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
This is the first time I've built a desktop and while I thought I had everything figured out, I am at the end of my rope here. The issue is low performance on everything. I cannot run games like League of Legends on the lowest settings (I end up with 3-6 fps). The build is as follows:
MOBO:
AsRock B85 Pro4 [BIOS 2.00]

CPU:
Intel core i7-4790 3.6Hz [Driver version unknown, but device manager says up to date]

RAM:
Corsair XMS DDR3 32gb

PSU:
Seasonic G series 550W ATX12v/EPS12v

GPU:
Zodiac GeForce 770 4gb [337.88]

Storage:
1Tb disc storage

I have listed the driver versions above in brackets. As far as I know the entire system is up to date, driver-wise. The cooling is all stock, but according to hwmonitor, msiafterburner and GpuTweak (get to that in a moment) nothing is running above 40C. I had originally thought that the performance issues were due to a bad graphics card (ASUS r7 260x). I chose to return the Asus card and upgrade. I used DisplayDriverUninstaller to wipe the AMD drivers off of my system and installed the new card. The performance issues are the same if not worse with the upgraded card.

I am hoping that someone here just points out something simple that I missed. I cannot figure out why my shiny new computer is performing below my nine year old laptop. Thanks in advance

cirdecus

Distinguished
Hard to tell. What is DisplayDriverUninstaller? Sounds like malware. Have you tried downloading malwarebytes and running a full scan? I think this is probably software related if you've checked all your temps, etc. I would also open up Task MGR and make sure you see all of your processor threads in the performance tab (8). If nothing jumps out at you, you should just reformat and start over and see if the problems follow a fresh OS install (not upgrade)

did you plug the video cable to the motherboard or to the gpu card. most new motherboards and cpu have onboard video that weak. if you do you get low frame rates. also when you build a new pc and install the os. after you do you need to install the motherboard drivers and the video drivers. download intel chipset drivers from intel then reboot and rerun the video card drivers see if that helps.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
you should go to your motherboard webpage and download all the mobo drivers, chipset drivers, nic/usb3, etc etc.

also, are you plugging your monitor into the mobo or the GPU?
if you have ANY monitor (even a secondary) plugged into the mobo, then it's defaulting to the chipset video instead of your GPU.

Is your gaming monitor plugged into the GTX770?

If you are using the stock intel cooler, is it mounted well?
The pushpins should be all the way through and locked. There should be no wiggle.
A bad mount will heat up your cpu to where it throttles.

Do you have two pcie x16 leads plugged into the graphics card?
Is the motherboard aux 4/8 pin power lead plugged in?

Iniba

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I have all of the cables (pcie x2 and motherboard power) connected. I have the monitor plugged into the gpu. I am going to try malware bytes first and I'll get back to you guys. If the onboard graphics on the intel chip doesn't have drivers installed, it can wreck my gpu performance?
EDIT: DisplayDriverUninstaller has replaced driversweeper on Guru3D. I had read elsewhere on these forums that it was the thing to use when uninstalling graphics drivers. Is that still right?

Iniba

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I've now run malware bytes. It came up with a few things, but after a restart the problems persist. Same with the chipset drivers for Intel. I guess my only next step is to reformat and start over? I have to leave for work soon so I won't get to try it until later tonight. Would someone mind posting a walk through of the reformatting process? That is not something I've done before. Any other suggestions beyond starting fresh would be welcome, steam downloads take forever on my connection.
EDIT: I should add, I'm not crazy to expect high-to-max settings on games like league of legends, injustice and super street fighter 4 with this build, am I? I had thought that this would come together to be a fairly robust midrangey gaming system.