First time build

Pulsarman

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hello, I have used this site and the users great knowledge many times but thought it was about time to get some specific advice. I am about to undertake my first solo build and am looking to build a machine capable of gaming mixed with some basic work/office tasks but the most taxing area will certainly be the games.

I am cannibalising an old case but aside from the case fans there isn't much else I can use! I am keen on AMD for the bang for buck and budget is an issue. I have a corsair 600w PSU and 2 DVD burners but the DVD burners are both IDE so unless anyone has some solutions I am going to have to replace these for SATA. I also already have 8GB of Corsair DDR3 1600MHX ram.

My main questions are whether to go FM2 or AM3. I appreciate FM2 is now dead but I had planned to use an FM2+ MOBO with an Athlon 760k. This would allow me to use an FM2+ CPU at a later date but also gives the benefit of numerous Sata ports, USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0 on the board.

My other options is an FX6300. I am fairly confident that the FX is the better CPU but AM3 MOBO's are confusing me somewhat. Some boards still seem to have an IDE port which would be ideal to reuse my DVD drives but usually only one PCI and only allow ram of 1333 which is not so good.

Can anyone recommend me a great (but budget friendly) AM3+ MOBO or would I be better sticking with my original plan of FM2+?

For absolute clarity, I was planning on using an R9 270 GPU to allow me to play games like Crysis 3, Medal of Honour, Battlefield etc. Ideally, I do not want to spend more than £150 on CPU and MOBO ideally.

you can use mobo in this build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $555.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-17 22:37 EST-0500)

Solution

Pulsarman

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I have seen that MOBO reviewed on here previously so was one I was considering along with the ASUS M5A97. Based on the parts listed above would it be fair to say that you agree an AM3 processor is the way to go or is there any advantage to using an FM2 and waiting for the new FM2+ processors?

Yes, if you are going AMD, go with the AM3 socket. Go with the FX series of processors as well. AMD Radeon's post is a great budget build that would serve you well for the games you are wanting to play.