First Time Build

Robotic Taco

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
This is my first time building any type of PC, and I am trying to make a gaming one. I have been using a console up to now. I came up with this build so far.

CPU
i5-6600K
$260

Motherboard
Z170 HD3
$105

Graphics card
RX 480
$260

RAM
DDR3 8gb
$34

Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
$160

PSU
Corsair SF450
$90

Case
Cougar MX200
$30

Monitor
Asus G257HU
$270

Keyboard/Mouse
HAVIT Rainbow Backlit
$30

Total
$1209

I am probably going to be playing FPSs like COD and Overwatch.
My main questions are:
-Are these parts good
-Are they compatible
-Do I have everything I need
-How can I make it cheaper without sacrificing performance
-Can I connect an Xbox One controller
-Any advice for a new pc gamer
-How do you overclock, and why

Thanks.

Solution
With this you will get more than double the performance of the RX480 with the 1070 i've put in.
Sacrifices had to be made, such as an SSD for the boot drive, but I believe that this is the best you can do with your money full stop.
I did go a bit over, but only to get a nicer looking case for you with a better building experience.
If you want to stay within budget, get the Bitfenix Nova case.

The HDD was a good deal, so I went for the 2TB version over the 1TB version, which is at 5400RPM vs 7200RPM, but you shouldn't notice a big difference. I thought that you will easily use 1TB of space, and then find yourself needing to spend more to get another hard drive or SSD, so I just decided to go for it.

I've used the same budgeting scheme...

Robotic Taco

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Honestly I don't know, how can I tell? I am still pretty clueless about most of this stuff.
Thanks for the fast reply.

450w is plenty for the RX480, however you can do much better with this build, as there are some poor quality components in there. A 500GB SSD is unneccesary, get a 250GB SSD and 1TB HDD, it will serve you much better.
You need an aftermarket cooler with k CPUs by the way.
You overclock by increasing the voltage of the CPU delivery in the BIOS, and increasing clock speeds.
Do not dabble in this if you don't know what you're doing.
You can connect a wired XB1 controller, but not a wireless one.
DDR3 RAM is not compatible with the motherboard and CPU you have selected, DDR4 is what you need, as it is a newer platform.
Use PC Part Picker in the future, and you will need an OS to go with this.
Working on a build now.

Are you set on 1440p 60hz or do you want to go 1080p 144hz which is better imo. Means you can see more frames per second.
Edit: I've put a 144hz 1080p monitor in, as I believe it is much better, and this way you can get a better graphics card to go with it and fully utilize it. :)

Robotic Taco

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Thank you so much for all the help. I am not going to buy the parts any time soon, and I am trying to learn as much as I can so that I can do this successfully. That is why I am asking you guys for help (I am not planning on overclocking any time soon). Also I am trying to lower the total cost if possible. Thanks again.

With this you will get more than double the performance of the RX480 with the 1070 i've put in.
Sacrifices had to be made, such as an SSD for the boot drive, but I believe that this is the best you can do with your money full stop.
I did go a bit over, but only to get a nicer looking case for you with a better building experience.
If you want to stay within budget, get the Bitfenix Nova case.

The HDD was a good deal, so I went for the 2TB version over the 1TB version, which is at 5400RPM vs 7200RPM, but you shouldn't notice a big difference. I thought that you will easily use 1TB of space, and then find yourself needing to spend more to get another hard drive or SSD, so I just decided to go for it.

I've used the same budgeting scheme as your original post, meaning you will need to buy a copy of windows 10 on top of this, which should go for about 90 bucks. Get Windows 10 Home.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKGx6X
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKGx6X/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1232.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-27 09:57 EDT-0400

Solution

Robotic Taco

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Thank you! I will look at this and learn as much as I can over the next few months before I buy/build.

No problem! :)
See the post I just made about getting started.
If you want good websites for reviews and explanations, some good ones are:
Gamers Nexus for general hardware stuff.
Jonny Guru for Power Supplies.
Toms Hardware for easy to read lists and recommendations/forums.
WCCFTech for tech news and rumours.

I find that what worked best for me was lurking on Toms Hardware forums for a few weeks, asking the occasional question on a random thread, or creating my own queries through threads of my own if I was unsure about the quality or performance of something.
Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything, don't be embarrassed! ;)

Robotic Taco

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Wow, you really are helping me so much. This will be very useful and informative. Thanks.

First of all, DDR3 is not compatible with your motherboard.
You need DDR4. I would suggest a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb DDR4 1.2v ram. 2400 speed.

Love the 500gb ssd.
I5-6600K is as good as it gets for gaming.
You overclock to get faster core speeds.
It is done by raising the multiplier from the stock 35 to a higher number.
How high depends on your luck in getting a good chip.
As of 5/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I5-6600K
5.0 2%
4.9 11%
4.8 36%
4.7 64%
4.6 88%

The "K" processors do not come with a cooler.
14nm skylake runs cool. I suggest a cryorig H7 for about $30.

RX-480 is fine. It should have a 500w psu. It would be better to buy one in the 550-650w range so you can tolerate s graphics card upgrade.
Here are the options:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

And, buy a tier 1 or 2 unit from a list such as this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Seasonic is always good.

Robotic Taco

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016

Cool, thanks for all the info. It will be very useful.

TRENDING THREADS