First time builder. How does this system look?

kdogg3403

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next couple weeks.

BUDGET RANGE: < $2000 after all is said and done.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Best possible for price

OVERCLOCKING: Myabe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe down the road

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p-ish

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I have picked out.

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and ASUS P6X58D Premium

RAM: G.Skill Pi Series 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7

GPU: HD 5870

HDD: Seagate 7200 1TB

PSU: Corsair 750W

Case: HAF 922

Optical: DVD Burner

HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

Monitor ASUS 23 1080p

Comes to $1738.99 with shipping; before tax.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anything else I need? Cables, thermal paste, etc?

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Thermal paste: arctic silver 5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=arctic_silver_5-_-35-100-007-_-Product

And this ASUS monitor is 2ms (gtg). You lose .6" though. its also an award winner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059&Tpk=vh236h

That monitor just came back in stock today and used to be free shipping 2 days ago. (chat with newegg customer support, point out the increase in shipping cost, and see if they credit it for you upon specific request. They did for me).

lastly, if you haven't yet. Look through every single one of the parts you are buying and look for combo deals. You might get lucky and find a combo with another part you already picked out! Happens to me all the time! Its great!

The cooler comes with thermal paste, but it's not Arctic Silver or MX-2. The thermal paste that comes with the cooler will work just fine. I was just pointing out that Arctic Silver isn't a great option. Arctic Silver also has to be re-applied every couple years or it starts losing performance.

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hmm interesting shortstuff. Not debating you, but do you have any links that describe the loss in AS performance without reapplication? (currently using it on my e8400 and xigmatek DK). Thanks.

Kdogg, wait until the commercial release of the new nvidia line, imo. if nothing else it should drive the 5870 down in price. it may not, but it makes sense that it would. Or, you may really like the nvidia line I suppose. i certainly prefer them for their driver support.

kdogg3403

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Is that something that is coming soon?

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
april 6th the nvidias hit the shelves I guess.

i use an anti static wristband because i was told to long ago. Never tried a mat, can't comment there. I've never had a static discharge though, I build my systems very slowly and carefully, like every piece is made out of crystal though lol.