First Time Builder Looking for Feedback on PC Build

chill_Squid

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Hey everyone,

I am looking to build my first rig. I was hoping that those of you reading this would be kind enough to look over my parts list from PC Part Picker and give me some feedback on it. I am looking for specific concerns or comments that you all may have. I will respect all opinions afforded to me, thank you in advance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

Monitor: LG 23MP57HQ-P 60Hz 23.0" Monitor

NOTES:

1. I am playing Killing Floor 1, Left 4 Dead 2, Dead Space 2, and basically older titles right now on my laptop running Intel HD Graphics (5500). I'm not looking to crush frame rates and game at 4K. I'm just looking for a good experience, let's say 60 fps at 1080p. I'm into Co-Op Shooters and RPG's.

2. I do plan on picking up the 980 Ti fall 2016 or fall 2017.

3. If you would like to suggest swap outs for my build please regard my budget as 1000$ USD +/- 100$.

4. I have a Vizio 50 inch 240 Hz HDTV (1080p), but I am assuming I should get a dedicated monitor, if I should just use my TV for now please let me know.

5. I did pick my motherboard with a little bit of future proofing in mind, I've read that the LGA1150 socket is supposed to be the new standard. I'm not sure if this is true, but as a general concern I would like to go with a z97 motherboard.

Thank you all for your time, and I apologize if I wrote this in the wrong section. Forgive my noobiness.

logainofhades

Titan
No such thing as future proofing. 1150 is not the new standard, that would be 1151. Just go with an H97 board, and use the money saved on a better SSD. That CPU doesn't overclock, so waste to get an overclocking motherboard. Don't need that cooler either. The stock unit is enough for a locked i5.