First time builder

cam135

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hey guys I am attempting to build my first computer tomorrow and was wondering if any of you veteran builders have any tips or tricks you do while building your own. I have watched several tutorials and read many many guides. I have been researching everything computer since September so I fell pretty comfortable just looking to see what other peoples opinions are. Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
i'm assuming you have all of the parts sitting there in front of you and that you bought all compatible parts.

as for the assembly..

-do not wear wool, fleece or anything which tends to generate static charge. i tend to do all of my pc assembling in a t-shirt although depending on your house temperature this might be a bit chilly :).

-before you touch any piece of hardware always touch the computer case with both hands first. you will be doing this alot. this is to make sure you dont get any static charge buildup. the alternative is to use a grounding wrist strap which you would hook on to your pc. i dont really care for them though so i just touch the pc.

-it would be a good idea to have a towel (regular clean bath towel) and to...
i'm assuming you have all of the parts sitting there in front of you and that you bought all compatible parts.

as for the assembly..

-do not wear wool, fleece or anything which tends to generate static charge. i tend to do all of my pc assembling in a t-shirt although depending on your house temperature this might be a bit chilly :).

-before you touch any piece of hardware always touch the computer case with both hands first. you will be doing this alot. this is to make sure you dont get any static charge buildup. the alternative is to use a grounding wrist strap which you would hook on to your pc. i dont really care for them though so i just touch the pc.

-it would be a good idea to have a towel (regular clean bath towel) and to lay it on a solid surface so that you can lay the case on it without scratching. a towel also works to sit computer parts on when unboxing them.

-i generally like leaving the motherboard sitting on the pink esd-resistant foam it comes on until installing. i just sit the motherboard and foam on a towel although any clean surface is also generally fine (i just like to prevent scratches)

-leave the cpu in the tray it comes in until you need to use it! (preventing bent pins and the like). i would touble or triple check your static charge (touch the case a few times) to be sure.

-generally i prefer using my own thermal paste (i like artic silver 5) so i remove the thermal pastes which comes on cpu heatsinks myself... but you dont have to do this.

-when installing motherboard standoffs i visually look at the motherboard to see where i will need them. (depending on if the case has existing "bumps" for standoffs or if it takes the normal style. having a small nutdriver of the right size helps loads!

-remember to install the motherboard back panel on the case before putting the motherboard in!

-dont forget good cable management. you will need lots of zip ties.

if your case has a open window behind the cpu on the motherboard tray installing aftermarket heatsinks is easier. not sure if you do or not since you did not list components. if you dont have one you may need to install aftermarket plates beforehand (note: oem heatsinks which come with the cpu are installed with the motherboard mounted already as well as typically the aftermarket heatsinks itself. i'm just talking about special mounting plates here not the actual heatsink).

-doublecheck that you have the front panel connections correct based on the manual

theres a few other minor things that come up but thats a few general points

Solution