[SOLVED] First time building a PC, help appreciated!

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
Hey guys,
So I was waiting for a 3070 restock to start building my rig and I finally managed to get a MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio, thing is, since it's my first time building a pc I'm kinda overwhelmed with so much information on parts and stuff and I would appreciate some tips. I would really enjoy sticking to MSI so I could use a single software to configure things and RGB related stuff. Here are the expected parts:
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (If available, a 3900xt which seems to be better and the cost is almost the same here);
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R AIO;
Motherboard: Having an hard time with this one since it's the only part I can't really understand what makes one better than the other, but I had an eye on either MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi or MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi. I also saw the MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi if those 2 aren't really that good (highly accept recommendations);
RAM: Similar mobo situation except I know about the latency and MHz, but since the different mobos have different MHz supports I'm unsure on what to do. And i don't really understand the RAM XMP. I would go for a 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 either Corsair or G.SKILL;
HDD: SeaGate Barracuda 4TB;
SSD M.2: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB;
Power Supply: Corsair RM850 (it's the same cost as RM750 or RM650 and they're out of stock either way);
Case: MSI Gungnir 100RGB.
This is what it should look like: https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/user/MicroRuben/saved/#view=7yybK8
Overall I think everything is compatible since i'm using Pc Part Picker, at least it tells me so, but I really need help on the mobo/ram stuff. I would like opinions on any other thing that could be done better.
Thank you very much!

Solution
No games, not even if you are recording and streaming simultaneously, are going to benefit from having more than 8 cores/16 threads. Not really. For the most part, not at all.

SO the 3900x with its 12 cores and 24 threads is really just a waste because the 5800x's single core performance CRUSHES it, so the cores that WILL be used for gaming or multitasking operations WHILE gaming, are going to be much more capable on the newer hardware. Considering the price difference is only a few dollars between the two, I think that's a no brainer.

You don't want that MSI cooler. It gets outperformed by a number of smaller 240mm coolers, which basically means that in reality it kind of sucks. In general, MSI's AIO coolers are usually not found at...

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
What are you using your computer for? Get the B550 if you are only gaming, the x570 is unnecessary unless you do video editing or more demanding tasks. From what I can tell the parts looks pretty good. Maybe get a faster ram kit like 3600mhz if you are not confortable overclocking your ram. I would also like to point out that a liquid cooler may not be better than a high quality air cooler (such as the noctua NH-D15) as the cost is higher and you have something else to worry about in your case: such as the slim possiblity of it leaking, or the pump dying and the fact that liquid coolers are only good for up to 3 years max. Ironically if its noise you are worried about, they could actually be a fair bit louder than air coolers.

Reactions: MicroRuben
What are you gonna do on your system? Is it only for gaming and light stuff or is it for gaming / editing / encoding etc.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to get a 3900X at that price when you can just get a air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 and save 70 dollars and put that on a 5900X or better if it's only a gaming PC a 5800X would be more than enough for a while. Zen 3 19% single core performance increase is really worth it.

Last edited:
No games, not even if you are recording and streaming simultaneously, are going to benefit from having more than 8 cores/16 threads. Not really. For the most part, not at all.

SO the 3900x with its 12 cores and 24 threads is really just a waste because the 5800x's single core performance CRUSHES it, so the cores that WILL be used for gaming or multitasking operations WHILE gaming, are going to be much more capable on the newer hardware. Considering the price difference is only a few dollars between the two, I think that's a no brainer.

You don't want that MSI cooler. It gets outperformed by a number of smaller 240mm coolers, which basically means that in reality it kind of sucks. In general, MSI's AIO coolers are usually not found at the top of any charts in terms of performance anyhow. Neither is a lot of their hardware.

Truthfully, I don't mind bashing MSI in this regard, because the fact is that while their marketing department is very good, aside from the recent turn around to some degree because of a few very excellent budget motherboard offerings that began mostly with the B450 Tomahawk, they've had some REAL problems with motherboard quality in the past and quite recently as well, so I recommend avoiding MSI entirely (Aside from those few products that have consistently been shown as high performance bang for budget investment dollars, like both the B450 and X570 Tomahawk boards, and the Gaming pro carbon fiber. Obviously if you spend upwards of 350 dollars on a motherboard regardless of who makes it you are likely going to get a good product but unless you require expansive custom water cooling support that just seems like a senseless waste of money for any regular Joe.) especially in the area of cooling, but in general, because they are a company with a seriously bad track record in terms of ethics and questions of morals, and trying to strongarm reviewers and other industry involved individuals.

So you might want to RE-think the idea of sticking with an ALL-MSI type build. If not on the conditions of their shady tactics, then because the performance of most of their products is moderately outdone by other products costing the same or less in a great many cases.

While I am absolutely NOT a fan of Cooler master either, because they make a lot of junk, they also have a FEW decent products and they consistently seem to win out in performance comparisons when it comes to AIO coolers. Long term durability might be a different issue, but I don't see a lot of complaints about them either so my guess is that they don't have many problems in this area OR nobody is buying them in order to complain about them which also seems unlikely. This cooler seems to check all the right boxes in terms of being 360mm, great performance AND has a fairly popular RGB ecosystem. It's also significantly less expensive.

My first choice would probably be the Corsair H150i Elite Capellix, but it's also significantly more expensive. I believe it to be the better cooler than the CM unit though, when it comes to long term quality and it barely loses in performance by comparison. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 is also a pretty good choice, but doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in your region. If you can find this cooler at a lower price than these others, then it's probably the better deal.

That MSI X570 board in particular has few reviews, but the ones there are, and the general consensus that "I" have seen, has been that it is likely somewhat problematic. I'd opt for a slightly better board like the X570 Tomahawk if you're going to go with a budget MSI X570 board, which is only a few dollars more than that board costs, or something else altogether. The ASRock X570 Pro4 is a good choice if you want a solid board BUT you want to save a few bucks.

For memory on this platform, you want either 3200mhz CL14 sticks or 3600mhz CL16 sticks. Anything else is either leaving performance on the table, risking problems with actually achieving the desired performance because of complications with the infinity fabric decoupling or spending too much for too little in return.

3200mhz CL16 is too slow for the money. Keep in mind that 3200mhz CL14 kits are actually FASTER than 3600mhz CL16 kits when it comes to true latency, which translates as actual performance.

On the NVME drive, I'd look at the Seagate Firecuda 510 rather than the 970 EVO Plus. Yes, the Samsung drives are good, no question there, and the performance is a little better than on the Firecuda, but the endurance, both MTBF (Mean time between failure) and TBW (Terrabytes written are significantly higher on the Firecuda. 300,000 hours longer in fact. I think that's the more important consideration because unless you're writing from NVME to NVME you're never going to see those potential maximum speeds anyhow under any normal circumstances other than on synthetic benchmark utilities. Paying four bucks less for a drive with nearly the same performance but much longer endurance just seems to make a LOT more sense, to me.

Also, you have chosen a 4TB drive with only a 5400rpm rotational speed. That means it's going to be SLOW as hell. And by hell, I mean slow as @#$!. You do not want a 5400rpm drive for anything other than MAYBE a third or fourth drive that is going to be used strictly for backups of some kind, or for a laptop that can't support a 7200rpm drive for whatever reason.

This Ironwolf Pro is also unquestionably built to last longer than that Barracuda drive, which is their entry level product.

Looking at PCPP, there are exactly ZERO MSI RTX 3070 cards showing available in stock anywhere, so hopefully as you say you were lucky enough to already get one, which makes that a moot point. If not, or if something doesn't work out, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying to target one of the RTX 3070 products from EVGA. Quality is going to be higher and nobody has better customer service after the sale when it comes to Nvidia based graphics cards than EVGA and practically any veteran gamer or builder will tell you the same thing. But if you have the MSI card already, then one card in the hand is as they say, better than three in the bush. (Meaning one you have is better than the promise of three because only the one you actually have is really worth anything)

The MSI Gungnir case, while definitely not one of the worst offenders out there, has a moderately restricted front panel and would probably not be my first choice for a build like this. Consider that you are going to get very little airflow, comparatively, through you AIO with this case assuming you are going to mount it in the front, and hopefully you ARE going to mount it in the front because this case does not support 360mm coolers or more than two fans in the top. This would be a much better choice, IMO.

Other good choices would be the Fractal Design S2 or Meshify S2, Lian Li Lancool II mesh or even something like the Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX if you can find one.

The PSU selection I'm ok with considering what's actually available in your region. If you can get either an RMx or RMi unit, even a 750w model, that would be a much better choice than the regular RM model. You don't NEED anywhere near 850w for your build. You could get by, easily, with a very good 650w unit and at 750w you have plenty of overhead for spikes or overclocking, if you should desire to do so. 750w is probably the better option for your build if it means getting an even higher quality model, but for only a couple dollars more I'd agree that the 850w RM unit is a pretty solid choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (€471.90 @ Globaldata)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€127.05 @ PC Componentes)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€177.90 @ Globaldata)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (€154.90 @ Globaldata)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 510 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€95.98 @ PC Componentes)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€129.90 @ PCDIGA)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card (€589.90)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€117.55 @ PC Componentes)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€124.90 @ PCDIGA)
Total: €1989.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-26 03:36 WET+0000

Last edited:
Solution

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
If he is doing content creation and can find the 3900x at $400 (like I did), which is $50 less than the 5800x, then the 3900x might be a better deal. Especially because it comes with a cooler.

CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R AIO;
Speaking of the cooler, you really don't need a 360 Liquid CPU Cooler AIO for a 3900x or a 5800x. If you're not doing much overclocking, an air cooler that's more than $50 will do fine, and be considerably cheaper. Depending on the quality of the air cooler, you might be able to do some overclocking too.
You'd only need that 360mm Liquid Cooler if you plan to do some extreme overclocking.
Also I'd suggest just getting the best components for the price, instead of getting only MSI components which may not be as good as components from other companies.

Reading the OP, I really doubt that he's doing content creation, and he certainly doesn't mention it. I would REALLY lean towards not, since he mentions desiring a single software "to configure things" and that it's his first PC build. He COULD be a content creator, but I kind of doubt that's the case here.

Besides which, considering the 5600x, much less the 5800x, beats out many of the top Intel i7 and i9 models from this and the last generation, and those were the best you could get for that type of scenario across the board for the most part, and that these new parts dramatically beat out the last Gen AMD parts that in some cases DID outperform those same Intel parts when it came to some situations where heavy multithreaded performance was a factor, I'd think that either way any of these is more than capable enough for the needs of the system.

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
What are you using your computer for? Get the B550 if you are only gaming, the x570 is unnecessary unless you do video editing or more demanding tasks. From what I can tell the parts looks pretty good. Maybe get a faster ram kit like 3600mhz if you are not confortable overclocking your ram. I would also like to point out that a liquid cooler may not be better than a high quality air cooler (such as the noctua NH-D15) as the cost is higher and you have something else to worry about in your case: such as the slim possiblity of it leaking, or the pump dying and the fact that liquid coolers are only good for up to 3 years max. Ironically if its noise you are worried about, they could actually be a fair bit louder than air coolers.

Mainly gaming, and since I've been saving for a while and wanted a big upgrade for a while I'm fine with it. The mobo I'll stick to is X570 Tomahawk, everyone's been bashing on the other 2 I've mentioned and, not going to lie, I wasn't too confident on them that's why I was mostly insecure on the mobo situation. I mainly chose the MSI AIO because of looks (I find the air coolers bulky and I don't want anything getting into the view of the case if you know what I mean) and because it's price isn't too much of a difference compared to other 360mm AIOs but will definitely look around the AIO situation.

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
What are you gonna do on your system? Is it only for gaming and light stuff or is it for gaming / editing / encoding etc.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to get a 3900X at that price when you can just get a air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 and save 70 dollars and put that on a 5900X or better if it's only a gaming PC a 5800X would be more than enough for a while. Zen 3 19% single core performance increase is really worth it.

Mainly gaming, I'll stick to AIOs mainly because of looks, since I'm building a good PC I want it to look good aswell. I'm sure people will find me quite stupid for choosing a more expensive worse product over a good cheaper one but, I really just really like the way it looks, will still look around and researching AIOs.

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
If he is doing content creation and can find the 3900x at $400 (like I did), which is $50 less than the 5800x, then the 3900x might be a better deal. Especially because it comes with a cooler.

Speaking of the cooler, you really don't need a 360 Liquid CPU Cooler AIO for a 3900x or a 5800x. If you're not doing much overclocking, an air cooler that's more than $50 will do fine, and be considerably cheaper. Depending on the quality of the air cooler, you might be able to do some overclocking too.
You'd only need that 360mm Liquid Cooler if you plan to do some extreme overclocking.
Also I'd suggest just getting the best components for the price, instead of getting only MSI components which may not be as good as components from other companies.

I'll stick to AIOs mainly because of looks, since I'm building a good PC I want it to look good aswell. I'm sure people will find me quite stupid for choosing a more expensive worse product over a good cheaper one but, I really just really like the way it looks, will still look around and researching AIOs.

Will do a little bit more research around the CPU stuff since everyone's talking about it too xP

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
Reading the OP, I really doubt that he's doing content creation, and he certainly doesn't mention it. I would REALLY lean towards not, since he mentions desiring a single software "to configure things" and that it's his first PC build. He COULD be a content creator, but I kind of doubt that's the case here.

Besides which, considering the 5600x, much less the 5800x, beats out many of the top Intel i7 and i9 models from this and the last generation, and those were the best you could get for that type of scenario across the board for the most part, and that these new parts dramatically beat out the last Gen AMD parts that in some cases DID outperform those same Intel parts when it came to some situations where heavy multithreaded performance was a factor, I'd think that either way any of these is more than capable enough for the needs of the system.

You are right, mainly gaming, I just hate or would hate to have many different softwares to configure different components or just the RGB itself.

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
For memory on this platform, you want either 3200mhz CL14 sticks or 3600mhz CL16 sticks. Anything else is either leaving performance on the table, risking problems with actually achieving the desired performance because of complications with the infinity fabric decoupling or spending too much for too little in return.

3200mhz CL16 is too slow for the money. Keep in mind that 3200mhz CL14 kits are actually FASTER than 3600mhz CL16 kits when it comes to true latency, which translates as actual performance.

Well, everything about the mobo or the AIOs has already been said so no need to mention them again. Now the memory situation... is it that much performance lost? Because the prices sure go up when going to lower CLs.

On the NVME drive, I'd look at the Seagate Firecuda 510 rather than the 970 EVO Plus. Yes, the Samsung drives are good, no question there, and the performance is a little better than on the Firecuda, but the endurance, both MTBF (Mean time between failure) and TBW (Terrabytes written are significantly higher on the Firecuda. 300,000 hours longer in fact. I think that's the more important consideration because unless you're writing from NVME to NVME you're never going to see those potential maximum speeds anyhow under any normal circumstances other than on synthetic benchmark utilities. Paying four bucks less for a drive with nearly the same performance but much longer endurance just seems to make a LOT more sense, to me.

Also, you have chosen a 4TB drive with only a 5400rpm rotational speed. That means it's going to be SLOW as hell. And by hell, I mean slow as @#$!. You do not want a 5400rpm drive for anything other than MAYBE a third or fourth drive that is going to be used strictly for backups of some kind, or for a laptop that can't support a 7200rpm drive for whatever reason.

This Ironwolf Pro is also unquestionably built to last longer than that Barracuda drive, which is their entry level product.

After researching for a while and thinking, I'm actually rethinking on a 4TB of memory for gaming, I could stick to 2TB barracuda that goes for more than half the price and get 7200RPMs since I will definitely not use 4TB on games, it seems kinda... a lot. Quick question about the SSDs are the M.2 really that worth over a normal SSD since prices go up when choosing the M.2 ones? Just making sure if it's really worth so I could get some more € on other components.

The MSI Gungnir case, while definitely not one of the worst offenders out there, has a moderately restricted front panel and would probably not be my first choice for a build like this. Consider that you are going to get very little airflow, comparatively, through you AIO with this case assuming you are going to mount it in the front, and hopefully you ARE going to mount it in the front because this case does not support 360mm coolers or more than two fans in the top. This would be a much better choice, IMO.

Other good choices would be the Fractal Design S2 or Meshify S2, Lian Li Lancool II mesh or even something like the Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX if you can find one.

Well, case chosen mainly for looks definitely will stick to it, like you said ''not one of the worst offenders ou there'', and yes, AIO mounting on the front.

Thank you so much for the help overall! I'm really happy with everything I'm learning out of this and want to make sure to get something I will enjoy eheh

Well, everything about the mobo or the AIOs has already been said so no need to mention them again. Now the memory situation... is it that much performance lost? Because the prices sure go up when going to lower CLs.

After researching for a while and thinking, I'm actually rethinking on a 4TB of memory for gaming, I could stick to 2TB barracuda that goes for more than half the price and get 7200RPMs since I will definitely not use 4TB on games, it seems kinda... a lot. Quick question about the SSDs are the M.2 really that worth over a normal SSD since prices go up when choosing the M.2 ones? Just making sure if it's really worth so I could get some more € on other components.

Well, case chosen mainly for looks definitely will stick to it, like you said ''not one of the worst offenders ou there'', and yes, AIO mounting on the front.

Thank you so much for the help overall! I'm really happy with everything I'm learning out of this and want to make sure to get something I will enjoy eheh
For a gaming only system, this would be just fine. The thing is, it doesn't actually drop the price that much considering you are giving some things up to get there, but, you're not giving up THAT much, so if the nearly 100 euro savings is really important, I could sleep at night with the tradeoff so long as you don't encounter any cooling issues due to the restrictions in the front panel of that case. Honestly, with any modern system that has a fairly high end CPU and graphics card, unrestricted full mesh front panel airflow SHOULD be a primary consideration, but of course that's totally up to you. You should maybe go and read (Or watch) some of the reviews Steve from GamersNexus does on some of the cases that have restricted front panels and see what a big difference it CAN make if the restriction is significant enough. Again, this one doesn't seem to the be one of the worst ones out there, but then again, it's far from having great airflow through the front panel as well.

In fact, if I were building for a customer and they insisted on using that case, or one like it, with a bunch of high end (High TDP) hardware, I'd absolutely make them sign a waiver saying they have been informed about the potential for poor airflow and that they are aware of and understand that it could be a problem, so that later they couldn't come back and complain as though it were somehow my fault.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€127.90 @ PCDIGA)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€218.45 @ PC Componentes)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€117.80 @ PC Componentes)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€62.73 @ PC Componentes)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.90 @ PCDIGA)
Case: MSI Gungnir 100 ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ PCDIGA)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€124.90 @ PCDIGA)
Total: €1852.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-27 06:50 WET+0000

Last edited:

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018

You don't want that MSI cooler. It gets outperformed by a number of smaller 240mm coolers, which basically means that in reality it kind of sucks. In general, MSI's AIO coolers are usually not found at the top of any charts in terms of performance anyhow. Neither is a lot of their hardware.

Truthfully, I don't mind bashing MSI in this regard, because the fact is that while their marketing department is very good, aside from the recent turn around to some degree because of a few very excellent budget motherboard offerings that began mostly with the B450 Tomahawk, I recommend avoiding MSI entirely (Aside from those few products that have consistently been shown as high performance bang for budget investment dollars) especially in the area of cooling, but in general, because they are a company with a seriously bad track record in terms of ethics and questions of morals, and trying to strongarm reviewers and other industry involved individuals.

So you might want to RE-think the idea of sticking with an ALL-MSI type build. If not on the conditions of their shady tactics, then because the performance of most of their products is moderately outdone by other products costing the same or less in a great many cases.

While I am absolutely NOT a fan of Cooler master either, because they make a lot of junk, they also have a FEW decent products and they consistently seem to win out in performance comparisons when it comes to AIO coolers. Long term durability might be a different issue, but I don't see a lot of complaints about them either so my guess is that they don't have many problems in this area OR nobody is buying them in order to complain about them which also seems unlikely. This cooler seems to check all the right boxes in terms of being 360mm, great performance AND has a fairly popular RGB ecosystem. It's also significantly less expensive.

My first choice would probably be the Corsair H150i Elite Capellix, but it's also significantly more expensive. I believe it to be the better cooler than the CM unit though, when it comes to long term quality and it barely loses in performance by comparison. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 is also a pretty good choice, but doesn't to be in stock anywhere in your region. If you can find this cooler at a lower price than these others, then it's probably the better deal.

That MSI X570 board in particular has few reviews, but the ones there are, and the general consensus that "I" have seen, has been that it is likely somewhat problematic. I'd opt for a slightly better board like the X570 Tomahawk if you're going to go with a budget MSI X570 board, which is only a few dollars more than that board costs, or something else altogether. The ASRock X570 Pro4 is a good choice if you want a solid board BUT you want to save a few bucks.

Looking at PCPP, there are exactly ZERO MSI RTX 3070 cards showing available in stock anywhere, so hopefully as you say you were lucky enough to already get one, which makes that a moot point. If not, or if something doesn't work out, I'd HIGHLY recommend trying to target one of the RTX 3070 products from EVGA. Quality is going to be higher and nobody has better customer service after the sale when it comes to Nvidia based graphics cards than EVGA and practically any veteran gamer or builder will tell you the same thing. But if you have the MSI card already, then one card in the hand is as they say, better than three in the bush. (Meaning one you have is better than the promise of three because only the one you actually have is really worth anything)

The PSU selection I'm ok with considering what's actually available in your region. If you can get either an RMx or RMi unit, even a 750w model, that would be a much better choice than the regular RM model. You don't NEED anywhere near 850w for your build. You could get by, easily, with a very good 650w unit and at 750w you have plenty of overhead for spikes or overclocking, if you should desire to do so. 750w is probably the better option for your build if it means getting an even higher quality model, but for only a couple dollars more I'd agree that the 850w RM unit is a pretty solid choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€127.05 @ PC Componentes)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€177.90 @ Globaldata)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory (€154.90 @ Globaldata)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 510 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€95.98 @ PC Componentes)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€129.90 @ PCDIGA)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€117.55 @ PC Componentes)
Total: €1989.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-26 03:36 WET+0000

This is a very indepth guide for your build. I recommend listening to this guy. He spent the effort writing this.

MicroRuben

Prominent
Dec 25, 2020
For a gaming only system, this would be just fine. The thing is, it doesn't actually drop the price that much considering you are giving some things up to get there, but, you're not giving up THAT much, so if the nearly 100 euro savings is really important, I could sleep at night with the tradeoff so long as you don't encounter any cooling issues due to the restrictions in the front panel of that case. Honestly, with any modern system that has a fairly high end CPU and graphics card, unrestricted full mesh front panel airflow SHOULD be a primary consideration, but of course that's totally up to you. You should maybe go and read (Or watch) some of the reviews Steve from GamersNexus does on some of the cases that have restricted front panels and see what a big difference it CAN make if the restriction is significant enough. Again, this one doesn't seem to the be one of the worst ones out there, but then again, it's far from having great airflow through the front panel as well.

In fact, if I were building for a customer and they insisted on using that case, or one like it, with a bunch of high end (High TDP) hardware, I'd absolutely make them sign a waiver saying they have been informed about the potential for poor airflow and that they are aware of and understand that it could be a problem, so that later they couldn't come back and complain as though it were somehow my fault.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€127.90 @ PCDIGA)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€218.45 @ PC Componentes)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€117.80 @ PC Componentes)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€62.73 @ PC Componentes)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.90 @ PCDIGA)
Case: MSI Gungnir 100 ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ PCDIGA)
Total: €1852.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-27 06:50 WET+0000

While reading and learning all the things you guys are saying, I can say that i'm quite frustrated one of the cases I most like isn't really good and that I should choose another one. Well I don't want to be stupid and make a oven out of my pc. So I remembered that while I was saving money and studying the components I wanted and such, a couple cases that I really liked too. Not saying you didn't give me a good recommendation with the ones you said, but I kinda want something MY style. Checked some reviews before even consider them (cases was actually the least part I research on as you can see lol).
What do you think of:

-Corsair Carbide 275R;
-NZXT H510 (tight fit with front AIO and GPU but I think it's possible https://preview.redd.it/prmefyx8wnq...bp&s=4ade5cda9bd445cb1ebe3e00aa82a510b5b5c455)
-Phanteks P400A RGB. (Edit: Does a RTX3070 Gaming X Trio fit in there? With or without AIO front mounted? I'm quite unsure about the information i'm getting). (2nd Edit: Discovered the P500A which works if the above doesn't).

Let's say that I quite enjoy all of these, am I safe to assume they are good cases? I based this on GamersNexus video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JSLWewcieY

Sorry if I came out as defensive about the case, it was hard to accept lmao. Thank you so much for the time/help you've been giving me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend ANYTHING sold by NZXT. They are just as shady, if not worse, than MSI. Just about everything they sell requires the use of CAM, and CAM, sucks royal a$$. These two links pretty well sum them up.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3522-nzxt-smart-device-doesnt-do-anything-cam-deep-dive

Ok, well it seems that NZXT has finally deleted, or found a way to delete, a rather LENGTHY thread on the CAM forums regarding the invasive privacy issues with the CAM software and their data mining practices resulting from almost non-stop "phone home" behavior in CAM. So I guess I can only post one link now.

THe Phanteks P400A RGB is fine.

The 275R has heat recirculation issues and is not a good choice for a build of this caliber in my opinion, then again, it too has a very restricted front intake panel.

Lancool II is fine. I recommended it before as well.