First time gaming computer build

derekd565

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Hello everyone. I'm a console gamer with a terrible computer so in the past the only "pc games" I've really played are runescape and maplestory. However, I've decided to buy a gaming desktop since hearing news of the 3 month elder scrolls online console release date delay. I only have a budget of $400-550 ish (preferably $500) and would require an OS, keyboard, monitor, and mouse to go along with the build. As I mentioned earlier, I'd only be planning to use the computer to play ESO, maplestory, and maybe call of duty. Could anyone help me build a list? Thank you!

Solution
Dead on arrival, what I meant by that was the the Athlon X4 build is FM2+ socket and there's very little in the way of upgrades for that socket, so you'd have limited upgrade paths.

You really shouldn't be buying a computer at all if you don't plan on upgrading it--their value comes from the fact that you can add parts as you go thus extending it's usable lifespan. It's not like a console that you buy once and never touch again--that's a huge waste of money.

I'd really consider the Core i3 build and using your existing TV as a monitor, otherwise I'd say don't bother and just wait for ESO to come out for consoles.

It's a terrible game by the way--have you read reviews or tried it yourself yet? I bought it and spent a week with it and...

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
$500 for everything including a monitor, OS, and peripherals is going to be nigh impossible, so here's the closest I could get. I really had to skimp on the keyboard and mouse, but they've got good ratings and will work for what you need. Also, no monitor--since you have a console I assume you have a TV with an HDMI input so you should definitely use that, or else look at spending another $80 for a monitor.

Other than that, it's a decent build--the CPU isn't the fastest thing, but it will work for your purposes, it pulls in 77fps in Skyrim whereas the FX-6350 pulls in 90fps so not too far off. The GPU is really the best bang for your buck at the moment, as it's faster and cheaper than a 750 Ti and can overclock quite a bit, putting it squarely in the 270/270X range.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.18 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.48 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($135.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-201 Wired Standard Keyboard ($6.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Wired Optical Mouse ($4.74 @ NCIX US)
Total: $510.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-12 13:08 EDT-0400)

This PSU is 1000% trash. DO NOT use it. Get an Antec VP-450 instead.

derekd565

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Thank you everyone for the help so far! I feel like if I'm gonna do this, I need to do this right and invest some real money into it. I don't really want to have to upgrade in a year or anything like that, so what would the best build be for me if I was willing to put in $550-600 ($550 preferably)?

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I understand people have had problems with Thermaltake PSUs in the past, but I can honestly, truthfully say I've been using TR2 650w and 850w PSUs in my rigs for the last few years without a single problem. They are not trash, mine have never failed even with multi-GPUs and overclocked CPUs.

I know they get a bad rap around here as do Corsair's CX series but I sincerely believe a little of that is snobbery--my Thermaltakes have never failed or faltered in any way going on 4 years now.

Take that as you will OP, I've had personal experience with two different Thermaltake PSUs without issue, a few (read: not many) people here have had problems with them.

theBigBanana that build is almost $1000 USD...OP asked for something between $4-550.

DO NOT get a tr2 unit. They seriously are trash and are NOT recommended here at all. There are hundreds of stories of these frying computers. They are AWFUL. A tier 5 (very bottom/ worst quality) unit.

You are very lucky that yours haven't fried your computers. I would STRONGLY recommend a CX unit over the TR2 units and I don;t even like the CX line.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
It sounds an awful lot like you're just regurgitating information from the web without having any personal experience with said products.

My two computers (AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8GHz with dual 5870's and Intel Xeon 1230v3 @ 3.7GHz with dual 270X's) say otherwise.

And don't exaggerate--there have been a HANDFUL of stories about Thermaltake PSUs failing and causing damage, not "hundreds"--and mostly on Tom's Forums where the prevailing thought is Thermaltake=shit.

There have also been stories here and there that top-tier units have failed and caused damage.

And forgive me for trying to help OP instead of just criticizing the choices of those who actually are.

A tr2 700 fried my girlfriend's family computer.

No Thermaltake does not mean it is a bad PSU. Thermaltake made good units, just NOT the TR2 units. The Thermaltake Toughpower GRAND and Smart Power series are OEM'd by Sirtec and are actually great units.

OP, you can get an Antec VP-450 for the same price as that Thermaltake and it will be MUCH MUCH better quality.

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
OP, like tiny said you're going to want to spend AT LEAST $600, especially if you're adamant about getting a monitor. Your best course of action is to get a Core i3 CPU and an LGA 1150 motherboard--it'll be more expensive than AMD, but it gives you a great upgrade path to i5/i7/Xeon in the future.

Here is an LGA 1150 build with the cheapest i3, a decent motherboard, an Antec PSU (to appease the masses...much to my chagrin), cheapest case, cheapest but highest rated peripherals and still no monitor and it's pushing $600 already.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.96 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.48 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($135.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($32.48 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-201 Wired Standard Keyboard ($6.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Wired Optical Mouse ($4.74 @ NCIX US)
Total: $568.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-12 13:56 EDT-0400)

derekd565

Reputable
May 12, 2014

So it sounds like even without a monitor I'm going to have to shell out about $550, right? But you guys are saying that I should just use my t.v. for a monitor? I mean, I guess I could, but it's a little big and bulky (32 inches). Is there any other option?

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Yup, if you want a system that has an upgrade path and isn't DOA $550-575 is the cheapest I'd go.

Couldn't you just leave your TV where it is and plug the computer into it? 32" isn't so big that it won't fit on a table or desk either. You'll save quite a bit of money doing that and not getting a monitor.

I have my gaming rig hooked up to my 50" plasma in the living room and I either use a 360 controller (Titanfall, Portal 2, Skyrim, Witcher 2) or keyboard+mouse on a TV tray table (BF4, Guild Wars 2) and it works phenomenally well and I don't clutter up the house with another glowing screen :)

derekd565

Reputable
May 12, 2014

Well, it would save me a lot of money I guess. But I don't necessarily need a system that has an upgrade path, and sorry but what does DOA stand for?

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Dead on arrival, what I meant by that was the the Athlon X4 build is FM2+ socket and there's very little in the way of upgrades for that socket, so you'd have limited upgrade paths.

You really shouldn't be buying a computer at all if you don't plan on upgrading it--their value comes from the fact that you can add parts as you go thus extending it's usable lifespan. It's not like a console that you buy once and never touch again--that's a huge waste of money.

I'd really consider the Core i3 build and using your existing TV as a monitor, otherwise I'd say don't bother and just wait for ESO to come out for consoles.

It's a terrible game by the way--have you read reviews or tried it yourself yet? I bought it and spent a week with it and uninstalled it at the end and cancelled my subscription--it's that bad.

It has a user score of 6.1 on Metacritic for the PC version and that's really low for the site--for comparison the universally panned Duke Nukem Forever has a user score of 5.8, so ESO is SLIGHTLY less terrible than Duke Nukem Forever.

Solution

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
In my opinion? Yes, it's that bad. Other people seem to love it, just not very many. I don't want you to take my experience as the de facto experience, but it seems to be par for the course.

Skyrim with mods is an excellent reason to buy a PC--I have beaten it so many times over, but I still play it almost daily because there's always something else to do.

derekd565

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Well that's disappointing...oh well, maybe I should try it anyways. I mean, this is probably a stupid question considering that the majority of people on this forum are probably pc gamers, but should I actually put $500 into a computer if I already have a ps4? I mean, I used to play league of legends and maplestory but I kind of gotten away from that. To be honest I haven't even used my ps4 since I bought it, and the last games that I've really gotten into were Skyrim and Oblivion. I can see myself getting back into maplestory, especially if I had a better computer than the cheap one I have now, but I don't want to blow money on something that I wouldn't use or would stop using after ESO came to ps4...

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
For sure, give it a shot yourself--you may love it!

I have a PS4 and my computer and that's it. I honestly play more on my computer right now, but whenever an exclusive like Second Son or MLB The Show 14 comes out I put PC gaming on hold and dive headfirst into my PS4 for a few days/weeks.

I could easily see myself neglecting my computer for a long while once Destiny comes out on PS4 (as my friends have PS4s but no gaming computers), but inversely I could see myself neglecting my PS4 when a PC exclusive comes out.

Good call on the PS4 btw, I honestly cannot understand from a hardware perspective why anyone would go Xbox One.