Question first time overclock

Rick_89

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
i recently overclocked my cpu and gpu. i have gigabyte mobo and used the bios to boost my i5 6600k from 3.5 to 4.2 using cpu upgrade option. everything stable and reached max 70 c running prime 95 stress test. my gpu is gtx 1080 fe overclocked 210 on core and 800 on mem with msi afterburner. fan speed at 65 power boost 120 temp limit 90. this ran stable with kombuster for 15 minutes. the temp did reach 90. while playing nfs heat, the cpu reached 50 c at 100 load and the gpu reached 71 c at 100 load. from other overclocks ive seen with a 1080 210 and 800 seems to be an insane overclock. i havent touched the voltage. am i running too hot or doing something wrong or did i just hit the silicon lottery jackpot. this is my first time overclocking so any help is appreciated.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Kombustor isn't even that good of a gpu stress test, and 15mins is FAR too short for stability testing.
15-20mins is fine for air cooled thermal testing, closer to an hour for liquid coolers.
15-20mins is FAR too short for power/voltage stability testing though.

Download and run Asus Realbench. Click on the Stress Test tab.
For the duration of test, select 8hours - the longer, the better, so I suggest you take a nap on it or something.
For memory, select the amount that's half of your ram - not to be confused with the gpu's vram.

If it passes that, then it's pretty stable.

Also, you shouldn't be hitting 90C on a gpu. You're trying to OC a gpu. 65% fan curve is low, it should be more aggressive as well; do 80-90% instead - if you can't deal with the blower noise at higher fan curves, then don't OC it.

from other overclocks ive seen with a 1080 210 and 800 seems to be an insane overclock
It IS pretty aggressive. What usually works:
-high core OC + low memory OC
-low core OC + high memory OC
-a happy medium of the 2

You've currently got both high. The odds of it passing Realbench are low, but maybe I'm wrong...

Rick_89

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Kombustor isn't even that good of a gpu stress test, and 15mins is FAR too short for stability testing.
15-20mins is fine for air cooled thermal testing, closer to an hour for liquid coolers.
15-20mins is FAR too short for power/voltage stability testing though.

Download and run Asus Realbench. Click on the Stress Test tab.
For the duration of test, select 8hours - the longer, the better, so I suggest you take a nap on it or something.
For memory, select the amount that's half of your ram - not to be confused with the gpu's vram.

If it passes that, then it's pretty stable.

Also, you shouldn't be hitting 90C on a gpu. You're trying to OC a gpu. 65% fan curve is low, it should be more aggressive as well; do 80-90% instead - if you can't deal with the blower noise at higher fan curves, then don't OC it.

It IS pretty aggressive. What usually works:
-high core OC + low memory OC
-low core OC + high memory OC
-a happy medium of the 2

You've currently got both high. The odds of it passing Realbench are low, but maybe I'm wrong...
i downloaded realbench and will try it tonight. most of the overclocking guides i see say set temp to max (92) and make gradual increases until stress test crashes or has artifacts. which is how i did this. what should i set the max temp to for stress tests, should i lower it while gaming? i do plan on keeping this card for another 2 or 3 years what temperature is safe enough to prevent any extreme degredation. last question, should i be paying attention to fps or anything else during the stress test or is running until it crashes the only thing needed for basic overclocking.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Power and temp limits should be set to max.
These gpus are temperature sensitive and have a number of temperature thresholds, unlike the default and maximum allowed power limits. Raising the limits tells the gpu that it has a little more boost headroom.

I'd suggest staying under 85C for everyday use.

should i be paying attention to fps or anything else during the stress test or is running until it crashes the only thing needed for basic overclocking.
Temps, artifacts, and crashes.

Also, some game engines don't like gpu OCs AT ALL. They'll have some unaware people pulling their hair out and flipping tables trying to troubleshoot it, when the solution is much simpler.
So if one particular game gives you trouble when others didn't, try removing your OC first.

I've also been told the game Control is a great gpu benchmark, but the problem I have with that recommendation is that it's not widely available to everyone, nor will it be everyone's cup of tea.
I'm not going to pay x amount of money on a game I'm not interested in just to test my gpu OC; I'll use what's readily available to me.
But if you have that game, hey, more power to you.