First Time PC Build advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

josefk

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Hello! This is my first time building, so I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Main Aim of Build: Longevity NOT future-proofing – my computers generally last 10+ years and I hope to do the same with this build. I'm used to using old computers so I don't mind if this build is out of date in 5 years. I assume this means I should aim for lower temperatures and quality parts.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, 1080p gaming, chess analysis (CPU-intensive, uses up to 512 cores and hyperthreading). 12-16 hours a day – mostly work and general usage, none of which is at all demanding, though I sometimes encode videos in the background.

Games: Cities Skylines, heavily modded old-Skyrim. I'm usually more interested in small indie games so I don't mind not having max settings and FPS on the few AAA games I'm interested in (Fallout 4, Hitman, Nier Automata).

Budget: Not fixed. For reference, my first attempt below is under £1100. (I'm in the UK.) I'm willing to pay more for good durable parts appropriate for my usage, but I don't want to pay for things I don't need.

Overclocking: Light overclock, probably.

Monitor: Already have one. 1080p. 76Hz.

Parts Preferences / Additional Comments:
- I want the case to have dust filters, something which most reviews don't seem to mention.
- I'd prefer a CPU Cooler that is AM4-compatible out of the box (unlike the CM 212 EVO which requires £7 for bracket delivery).
- The lower temps/power of NVIDIA Pascal GPUs (vs AMD) seem better to me longevity-wise.
- Dropped the EVGA PSU from my build after reading about something on blackouts and holdup time.
- I'm open to suggestions for any part, though I am kinda keen on the Asus Strix B350-F Gaming Motherboard since it's the one mid-range board with supposedly amazing sound (SupremeFX S1220A) and good build quality (at least VRM-wise).

Build: (no parts purchased yet)
Partpicker URL (Manually input prices are Amazon UK, which don't always show up properly on partpicker, but seem to be cheapest.)
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£188.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler PWM Fan with Blue LED AM4 Compatible (£28.57 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£111.75 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£86.44 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: 2x Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (2x £59.80 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card (£140.97 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master - 690 III ATX Mid Tower Case (£86.49 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer (£13.90 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£85.20 @ CCL Computers)
Case fan: Arctic F12 PWM Rev. 2 (£4.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1070.81

Lastly, about the case fans: in the above build, the case comes with 1 front-mounted 200mm intake fan and 1 rear-mounted 120mm exhaust fan. Saw 3 fan headers on the motherboard and I thought I'd add a top-rear-mounted 120mm exhaust fan. Is this positive or negative pressure? Also, should I get any more case fans?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
> The stock Wraith Spire cooler, that comes along with the cpu is better than most aft coolers around that price point. It comes AM4 ready with the cpu and strongly recommended. So the first component out of that list should be the cooler.

> Ryzen shines with higher RAM. Specially GSkill units with Samsung B die performs better with them. So that needs a a change too.

> Typically in a case, the front, side and bottom are intakes and rear and top are exhausts as hot air tends to rise up. So your top should be exhaust. You can add more fans if you want and use splitters to connect to the board.

> Rest looks pretty good.

Your original build is fine with a few tweaks here and there. Welcome.

g-unit1111

Titan

Thankfully the Etherum madness should be over by now. A lot of retailers are starting to see inventory come back in stock, but the damage has been done to the prices. Hopefully the GPU manufacturers will be ready when the next generation comes out.