Question First time PC Build doesn't work

Sep 12, 2019
Hi there,

This is my first time building a PC, but i ran in some trouble.

I ordered the following parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6G from Gigabyte
MEMORY: SSD 500 GB 970 EVO PLUS M.2 NVMe
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
RAM: 16 GB (1 stick) 3000-16 BX Sport
PSU: Termaltake TR2S 600W

And some more, like a better cooler, case, DVD player etc.

When everything arrived I carefully putted it all together and tryed it for the first time on.
Everything powered up (light went on, fans were spinning) but i kept a black screen (used a HDMI cable).
When looking for some advice on this I found that the motherboard probaly didn't have the right BIOS version, so i sended the motherboard with the CPU back and they installed the latest BIOS version on it and said it all worked fine and they could boot up without any problem to windows.

When I got the motherboard and CPU back I placed everything back together and again no luck for me.
With some more digging on this forum I did some more steps and went more and more to the basics.
Removed everything except the CPU on the motherboard, with the cooler, the 24 pin connector and 8 pin connector in place (also checked 3 times that they are in it the right way).
I placed the speaker in its place on the front panel and tryed it again, with the hope of getting a error code.
Yet again no luck for me.

Next I removed the RAM module in the hope of getting at least a error code for no ram.
But no error code for that either.

My best guess is that there is something wrong with the PSU, it does make a little "bzzzzz" noise but the sound of the fan is louder then that noise.

Anyone an idea that might help me out?
Thanks for your time.

-I did follow these first trouble shooting steps:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi Kjellie13,

First off, thank you for looking at the above link 1st. I hope someone here will be able to get your PC up and running quickly. So now are you plugging the PC into a TV or an actual monitor? I know you said you tried an HDMI cable, but do you have or have you tried a DVI cable? Is the TV or Monitor set to the correct source? (HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, DVI, DP) Do you have a friend that has a PC where you could borrow the PSU to test?

Perhaps take a close picture of the inside of your case so we can see how it's all connected.

Sep 12, 2019
Hi Mrgr74,

Thank you for the reply.
I plugged it into a monitor and the monitor is on the correct source.
Unfortunaly 99% of my friends use Mac or laptop/notebooks. I do have an older (100%) working computer, but that one has a 4pin connector for the CPU and is a 420W PSU, so I cant test that one on my system. I am a little afraid that when connect my new PSU on the older PC it might damage it, but would this be a good way to test of the PSU is still working properly? And that the problem in the new system then might be more focussed to software then hardware?