Question First time PC build, potential noob issue. Games... Crashing? I'm not sure...

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
Just built my first PC.
R5 3600
RX 5600 XT
1tb intel m.2 drive
16gb 3200 Ram
Asrock B450M Pro4

Yesterday was my first day getting to work on it. I cloned my old laptops drive onto an HDD I had lying around and install that and then cloned the HDD to the M.2 and wiped the HDD... It booted up picking up where my laptop left off beautifully! I installed AMD 5600 Drivers. I installed like 5 of the MOBO drivers that I thought I needed, went into Bios and set Ram speed to my 3200. This morning I have been going through the games I play, Valorant, LoL, RB6-Seige, SWTOR, etc and getting to finally see what they look like at max (1080) graphics... Well this has happened twice.

First time was playing Valorant... I get a kill and in a blink I'm looking at my desktop... No freeze frame... no blue screen, no black screen, just one second I'm in game, next second I'm looking at my wallpaper.
Second happened just a minute ago playing RB6... Same thing, get a kill and in a blink I'm looking at my desktop...

BOTH times task manager shows nothing running... Both times I was able to boot the game back up no problem.

I don't know that it was a crash or not.

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
I'm no expert, but I understand it like this:

If you are playing a fairly modern game, your GPU will run as fast as it can to output as many FPS as it can. This is the GPU utilisation - it's running a lot of instructions per second.

VRAM is memory and holds 'stuff'. The higher your settings, the more 'stuff' it has to hold, the more VRAM it needs.

Hopefully someone can provide a more technical answer for you :)

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
I'm wondering if you're onto something... Though nothing has crashed since the first 36 hours of having the PC running, I have noticed a 30 second boot time, for this build that should NOT be happening... Im getting 15 seconds or so of black screen pre-motherboard logo... Im thinking I have a ram-issue... I dont have a thumb drive handy to run that from... Can I install it on a HDD I have? I ran the windows memory test and got no issues found.

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
I just now saw that I have bios version 4.30 and 4.60 is the next and newest version. But there are tons and tons of warnings on the bios page of asrock's website. Should I update it? I don't want to brick my system. I only wonder if it has to do with the long boot time.

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
The ram installed is 16-20-20, I don't understand timings very well, but I know ryzen is picky... I just need to know if there is a replacement set of ram that will 100% be good with my system. And if this would/could be affecting a long boot time.