[SOLVED] First time Pc builder, assembled but now usb and display ports wont work

Jun 25, 2021
Everything except graphics card is new.
I have a asus Prime h410m-e motherboard with an intel i3-10100f cpu.

The fans are spinning and the rgb is on, the lights on the motherboard are also on, however when i plug in a usb into either the motherboard or front panel, it works for a second then dies (ive tried usb 2 and 3.0) display port doesnt work either. I have an old pc but it has all amd parts, so i cant frankenstein it. Ive tried the display port on my graphics card and also the vga port on my motherboard with the graphics card disconnected, doesnt work either way.

Im freaking out a bit now, please help.

Solution
You have an "F" CPU, which means no IGP and motherboard video outputs being unusable. Your GPU is the only way you will get any output.

Hooking up a motherboard speaker to hear POST codes would give you an idea of where the PC is failing at. If you hear nothing at all from the speaker after double-checking that it is connected to the correct pins on the front-panel header, then it means the CPU is not even getting to the point of initializing RAM, which would indicate a problem with the CPU, CPU socket, VRM or the power going into the VRM such as forgotten CPU power cable. A motherboard short due to IO bracket ground tabs stuck in a connector or misplaced motherboard tray standoff could also do it.

InvalidError

Titan
You have an "F" CPU, which means no IGP and motherboard video outputs being unusable. Your GPU is the only way you will get any output.

Hooking up a motherboard speaker to hear POST codes would give you an idea of where the PC is failing at. If you hear nothing at all from the speaker after double-checking that it is connected to the correct pins on the front-panel header, then it means the CPU is not even getting to the point of initializing RAM, which would indicate a problem with the CPU, CPU socket, VRM or the power going into the VRM such as forgotten CPU power cable. A motherboard short due to IO bracket ground tabs stuck in a connector or misplaced motherboard tray standoff could also do it.

Solution
Jun 25, 2021
Well im reusing the graphics card, the ram in my old pc is ddr3, and it seems unlikely the psu is the problem.

Dont have a motherboard speaker, i dont know what a faulty cpu socket looks like and if the cpu power cable you mean is the 8 pin split into 2×4 then thats in correctly, therr was some of the io shield tabs stuck in the hdmi port but i folded them out before i turned on the machine, i dont use the hdmi port either, i also checked the standoffs, there were 6 installed and i got the screws in, if my motherboard somehow shorted am i now just left with a oversized rgb desklamp? Im sorry if i seem rude ive just been assembling this thing for over 7 hours now, your help is appreciated!!

InvalidError

Titan
i dont know what a faulty cpu socket looks like
The most common problem with LGA sockets is bent pins, so you'd be looking for pins that look out of place next to the other 1190-1199.

If all else fails, take everything out of the PC case and "breadboard" the thing on the motherboard's original box or some other similarly safe surface and see if you get better luck that way. If it boots, then something was likely shorting out in the case.

Jun 25, 2021
Hmm, so i mightve not reached the mental age required to handle electronics of any kind because it seems to have been an issue with the ram not being fully installed, i seem to have missed a click