[SOLVED] First time updating chipset drivers manually, many questions

Nov 17, 2021
Hi,

I've had issues with my computer that I can't really figure out the cause of. Someone recommended updating my chipset drivers, after updating my GPU drivers didn't help (among other things I tried). I am slightly unsure about how to go about this in a safe manner where I won't regret it. I am especially paranoid since I've just done a clean install of Windows and it took several days before I got it working properly, and I read some thread where people had issues with the AMD chipset drivers.

My PC:
Seagate 1 TB
Radeon RX 480
Corsair VS650 650W
MSI LGA1151 H110M PRO-VH
Intel core i5-6500
Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB

Windows 8.1 Pro 64

I am also unsure of which device to look for the version in my device manager, but it definitely seems older than the one on AMD's site that I found.
This is on their website which I think is the correct one (?):
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VH#down-driver&Win8.1 64

It says it's version 10.1.1.45 of the Intel chipset driver.
When I look at Intel management engine interface in my device manager it says it's version 11.0.0.1181 from 2016, but I don't know if that's the one I'm supposed to look at?

It seems most people recommend downloading and installing these drivers through the manufacturer's website rather than through Windows, so that was my plan. I suspect it is fine since I could choose windows 8.1 in the roll down menu on the driver's webpage.

I am also unsure about how to go about the whole installation. I suspect I need to delete the old drivers first (?). If so, which ones? And does the one file in the download update all the chipset drivers?

I noticed a roll back option in the device manager. If things go wrong, does it usually work to use that? I do not want to undo all the work from the last few days and be forced to reinstall or something as tedious, if I can avoid it. I have already made sure to make a restore point.
Should I maybe even hold off on updating these drivers before I've excluded things like memory issues? I play games a lot, and it seems updating the chipset drivers is something that is good to do... I'm reading some say to not mess around with it if it isn't broken. The problem is I don't know if that's what causing issues or not. I suppose my chipset drivers are also somewhat old, seeing as the date on the one I checked was 2016.

As you can tell I know nothing about this, so any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text.

Thanks

Solution
if you are really worried about the OS being corrupted just make a system backup before going any further.

but yes, you should download all of the latest motherboard drivers available directly from the manufacturer product support pages.
all you will do is download them and click on each individual installer, usually labeled Setup.exe or possibly something like MSIsetup.exe.
it's possible that the packages will need to be extracted from individual archives first but
there is no need to uninstall anything or change any settings before doing so.

you should also make sure you're using the latest available BIOS for this motherboard.
they are updated to fix reported issues, to provide better performance, and to provide more support for...
if you are really worried about the OS being corrupted just make a system backup before going any further.

but yes, you should download all of the latest motherboard drivers available directly from the manufacturer product support pages.
all you will do is download them and click on each individual installer, usually labeled Setup.exe or possibly something like MSIsetup.exe.
it's possible that the packages will need to be extracted from individual archives first but

you should also make sure you're using the latest available BIOS for this motherboard.
they are updated to fix reported issues, to provide better performance, and to provide more support for more products.
I've had issues with my computer that I can't really figure out the cause of
what issues is it that you are looking to fix/improve?

Solution
Nov 17, 2021

they are updated to fix reported issues, to provide better performance, and to provide more support for more products.

what issues is it that you are looking to fix/improve?

Thank you for the quick answer. I have done a system restore point, is this enough if things go bad? I don't have any important files on my computer since I did a clean install, so if stuff gets messed up it isn't the end of the world, but it would be a bummer to mess up hardware if I don't ''have to'' risk it.
Updating the BIOS seems intimidating after reading about others saying some updates damaged their motherboard. Since I haven't done it before that is a pretty big concern for me. But if nothing else helps I will have to try that, of course.

I downloaded the driver from the link in my post, but there is only one single .exe file in there (setupchipset.exe). Does that still make sense? It was all I could find on their website.

The issues started over a year ago with a very noisy PSU. Initially it also smelled a little burnt. It has been noisy ever since, it only goes quiet if I restart it after it has been on for a while.
Everything else was fine up until recently when I started getting blue screens (video internal scheduler error) and error messages about the display driver, usually when playing games. That's what eventually lead me to reinstall windows after other solutions I had tried didn't seem to work.

Last edited:
I downloaded the driver from the link in my post, but there is only one single .exe file in there (setupchipset.exe).
that should be fine.

but all others available for audio, USB, WiFi/Blue-tooth, SATA, etc also need to be downloaded and installed.
since you are on a fresh OS none of the required drivers have been installed and Microsoft default Windows drivers do not offer the same performance or functionality as the manufacturer's.
issues started over a year ago with a very noisy PSU. Initially it also smelled a little burnt...
Corsair VS650 650W
depending on which version of the VS series this is they can be very unreliable, some even dangerous to use.
if it's within warranty i would contact Corsair for a replacement and just sell the new one they send.

i would never leave my computer components under something this low tier/low quality.
i would be replacing it ASAP.

Nov 17, 2021
that should be fine.

but all others available for audio, USB, WiFi/Blue-tooth, SATA, etc also need to be downloaded and installed.
since you are on a fresh OS none of the required drivers have been installed and Microsoft default Windows drivers do not offer the same performance or functionality as the manufacturer's.

depending on which version of the VS series this is they can be very unreliable, some even dangerous to use.
if it's within warranty i would contact Corsair for a replacement and just sell the new one they send.

i would never leave my computer components under something this low tier/low quality.
i would be replacing it ASAP.

When I installed the AMD graphics drivers that also installed audio drivers. However in the device manager under ''sound, video and game controllers'' I now have both ''AMD high definition audio device'' and Microsoft's ''high definition audio device''. Can I uninstall the Microsoft one, or should I let it be?

I did read this was not a reliable PSU yes, so I will make sure to get a new one for sure. Unfortunately the warranty was three years and I bought it five years ago.

When I installed the AMD graphics drivers that also installed audio drivers.
the audio drivers related to your graphics card are for HDMI audio out through the graphics card.

the audio drivers for your motherboard are for your onboard audio processor which controls your rear I/O audio ports and any motherboard audio headers.

the MS driver your see in device manager is just the generic Windows driver that should be replaced with those from your motherboard manufacturer.
Unfortunately the warranty was three years and I bought it five years ago.
wow, that is a terrible warranty for a power supply.
that is one good way to tell how long the manufacturer may be expecting it to last under minimal usage.
personally i wouldn't trust anything with under a 10 year warranty.

for some help shopping when you decide to upgrade: