Question First Time Using Thermal Pads - Custom Job Intrusive Thoughts (newbie)

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I was changing the thermal pads on a used gtx 1080 windforce OC that I came to aquire. I've never done that or even dissembled a gpu before. Before I get roasted for disassembling in the first place, the gpu was incredibly caked up and dusty, it looked like it was a terrorist that was used for questioning in a cell in Guantanamo Bay. I did plenty of research and was pretty confident up until I ran out of the size thermal pads and needed to do a bit of a custom job. I just wanted to make sure if this was okay.

I have a imgur link up for reference. View: https://imgur.com/a/pmkUFFk

Basically I had to cut up some smaller peices and merge them with the other pad not being one whole peice.

The original pad on the vrm was also slightly wider and hanging off a little, mine is only directly covering the surface, is this okay?

Also when applying thermal paste I couldn't get it as smooth as i see people on youtube videos when using the plastic tool that came with the paste. I used a Artic mx-4. They make it look so easy.

I've just had these first time newbie intrusive thoughts taking up space in my mind. Wanted clarity, feedback or assurance.

Thank you :)