Question First-time water cooling for upcoming Ryzen 3950x

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi,

I have never been an overclocker or anything, so I've always been content with air-cooling in my video editing and gaming PC. However, I plan to purchase the upcoming Ryzen 3950X, and AMD recommends water cooling: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/3950x-thermal-solutions

What's a good first-timer, easy-to-install water cooling unit for the CPU? One TomsHardware article recommends the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R, but it seems to be one of the more complicated to install kits, especially with the RGB, which I'd prefer not to use at all. The Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO and NZXT Kraken X72.

What would be an effective, simple, reliable, quiet kit that would be easy to install?

I have a Fractal Design Meshify C with an Asus Crosshair VII Hero motherboard. Here's a bad photo of my setup:

View: https://imgur.com/a/CRDF5x3

I don't plan on OC'ing or anything, just using PBO, but who knows. Also, again, I don't care about RGB - I'd prefer to not use it at all, actually.

Thank you!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking 3rd gen doesn't get you much. Just keeping it cool will do more for you than manually setting anything. At least from what I have heard.

No frills watercooling. Most of the high end models have at least an RGB pump header, you can always just not plug that part in or disable it in software.

All your choices above are fine.

If you want to pursue more plain and simple:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zXfmP6/be-quiet-silent-loop-280-942-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-bw003

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v4rcCJ/be-quiet-silent-loop-360-655-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-bw004

Or additional air cooling for your VRMs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2z7CmG/cryorig-cpu-cooler-a80

There are really only like 3 companies that make AIO coolers, all pretty much the same.

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for your response. Yeah, I kind of figured it barely makes a difference.

I heard good things about the Be Quiets, but they aren't on the AMD recommended list. The Cooler Master is on sale for $139 at the moment, I might just get that. It has some mixed reviews on Amazon, though...?

Where would I install the 3 fans in my case -- on the top?
To leave out RGB lighting, it's as simple as not plugging in one of the cords?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Meshify C, 360mm would have to be mounted in the front of the case. Only room for a 240mm up top.

Indeed, usually a USB cable for the RGB and power. RGB fans will have two wires, just don't plug in the RGB ones.

CoolerMaster are the 'cheap' ones, but all accounts says the get the job done. Not sure how long they last though. My last AIO had o-ring failure after 3 or 4 years, probably due to the pressure on the tubes from when it was installed. (It was actually in a friend's system when it leaked, but no harm done, just swapped it for one of my old school gigantic coolers)

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Huh, interesting, okay. Will it be able to be mounted to the front of my case as my PC is in that photo?

In the end, which cooler from the AMD-approved list should I get, then? Something that's reliable? The Be Quiets, as I said, aren't on the list, and I want to be careful... AMD warranty and all.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AMD won't know what cooler you use unless you tell them, so I wouldn't worry about that. They have to honor the warranty on the product itself as long as you don't visibly damage it. Not saying that is a very nice thing to do, but if you are worried about leakage, don't water cool at all. If you are worried that it won't cool well enough, again, don't worry about it. There are plenty of inadequate coolers you could slap on there, the CPU will protect itself as it is doing now with the stock cooler.

As for front mounting in the case, that fan and panel on the 'basement' come out and you put the radiator and fans there. Really only one way to do it, so not sure what else to tell you there.

Get whichever AIO you like the look of. At 360mm you are looking at pretty much the top end of what you can buy without going full custom. There are some better AIO out there from EK, Swiftech, Alphacool, etc but they are probably going to be closer to $200 and offer options that you wouldn't be that interested in, such as expandability.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not sure if everyone here realizes this, but most AIOs are made by the same few OEMs, so that Corsair and NZXT cooler being compared might actually be the same exact cooler with different plastic bits.

AIO coolers are really no more difficult to install than a normal RGB air cooler. They all come with installation directions and you can easily find YouTube videos and other supplemental info if you have questions.

I don't read that link that "AMD Recommends...."

They have hardware partners they contract with that they would like to drive your dollars towards.

Chziime

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
I see, thank you.

So to install on my Meshify C, would I have to remove the front fan??

What about if I just used a 280mm cooler, would that be easier to install in my case?