[SOLVED] First two slots of ram are inactive

Shawn_7

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
Hi, I have purchased 16GB of ram to add to the already pre- existing 16Gb. the issue is that when I turn on the pc, there is a red light active on the motherboard. In addition to the red light issue, the computer will power on but there will be no display, sometimes the pc will restart by itself. I have tested the Ram in each slot respectively. This is how I was able to conclude that there is an issue with the first two slots

this is my pc build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zKHzGq

How can solve this issue so that the pc can run while all ram slots are occupied.

Last edited:
Solution
The previous ram was not from a ram kit, I purchased them individually. shall I still go ahead and reset the bios? The two old 8gb sticks have the same model I purchased them from the same seller individually.
Because they were not from a kit, they did not work on dual channel model on slots A2 & B2 (2nd and 4th).
The RAM modules were working on single channel on slots B1 & B2 (3rd and 4th)

Reset the BIOS and see it they work on slots B1 & B2 .
To reset the BIOS, power off the PC, switch the PSU to off and unplug the power cord.
Press the power button for 15-20 seconds to discharge capacitors (these steps are also recommended when working in a PC inside a PC case).
Remove the CMOS battery, wait 5 minutes and re-insert the...
Hi, I have purchased 16GB of ram to add to the already pre- existing 16Gb. the issue is that when I turn on the pc, there is a red light active on the motherboard. In addition to the red light issue, the computer will power on but there will be no display, sometimes the pc will restart by itself. I have tested the Ram in each slot respectively. This is how I was able to conclude that there is an issue with the first two slots

this is my pc build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zKHzGq
It is recommended that modules with identical specifications from a kit are used when running in multi-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together. A motherboard might even stop working all together.
Even though you have gotten two of the "exact same" modules, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The RAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different modules, even if they look similar, they could have different IC chips brands.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one module to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

If you want 32GB, I suggest you get a 32GB (2x16GB) kit..

Shawn_7

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
It is recommended that modules with identical specifications from a kit are used when running in multi-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together. A motherboard might even stop working all together.
Even though you have gotten two of the "exact same" modules, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The RAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different modules could have different IC chips.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one module to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

I suggest you return them and get a 32GB (2x16GB) kit..
Understood, the issue is that I own a 16Gb kit this kit will not work on the 1st two slots either even when the 3rd and fourth slot are empty.

What slots did you originally have you ram in? should have been the 2 black slots to run in dual channel mode. You can try and remove your cpu and reinstall it, make sure to not crank down to hard on the cpu cooler and it can shift the fingers in the socket to different pads.

Reactions: Shawn_7

Shawn_7

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
What slots did you originally have you ram in? should have been the 2 black slots to run in dual channel mode. You can try and remove your cpu and reinstall it, make sure to not crank down to hard on the cpu cooler and it can shift the fingers in the socket to different pads.
I just removed the cpu and reinstalled it. the issue still persists. this pc was assembled for me by my brother back in 2014-2015 back then the ram did not work in the same coloured slots simultaneously. I called Kingston and the rep told me to put them in slot 3 and 4 this was the only combination that was successful. I now know that this is the wrong combination after reading the manual. I also called the motherboards manufacturer and they told me to check for broken pins. I’ve examinged it and nothing seems broken or bent. At this point, I think it Is best that I do not tamper with the pins on the board. I will take my pc to a computer store for them to swap out the board for a new one

If from the beginning the two RAM slots were not working or dual channel did not work, then it could have been an issue with the CPU socket or the motherboard itself.
The previous RAM modules, where they from a RAM kit or they came separate?
You could reset the BIOS and try one RAM module at the time, starting from the 4th slot (counting from the CPU ).

Shawn_7

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
The previous RAM modules, where they from a RAM kit or they came separate?
You could reset the BIOS and try one RAM module at the time, starting from the 4th slot (counting from the CPU ).
The previous ram was not from a ram kit, I purchased them individually. shall I still go ahead and reset the bios? The two old 8gb sticks have the same model I purchased them from the same seller individually.

Because they were not from a kit, they did not work on dual channel model on slots A2 & B2 (2nd and 4th).

To reset the BIOS, power off the PC, switch the PSU to off and unplug the power cord.
Press the power button for 15-20 seconds to discharge capacitors (these steps are also recommended when working in a PC inside a PC case).
Remove the CMOS battery, wait 5 minutes and re-insert the battery.
Place one RAM module on slot B2 (4th from CPU)
Plug power cord, switch PSU to on, and power the PC.

If you are able to get into the BIOS try updating the BIOS.

Solution

Shawn_7

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012

Remove the CMOS battery, wait 5 minutes and re-insert the battery.
Place one RAM module on slot B2 (4th from CPU)
Plug power cord, switch PSU to on, and power the PC.

If you are able to get into the BIOS try updating the BIOS.
The ram works in b1 and b2 I am currently in the bios it Is reporting that there is 16Gb in the pc, but this is in single channel. I will update the bios and see if the issue is solved

Last edited:
Leave it as is since that might be the only way the PC will work.
Since those two RAM modules are not from a kit, then they might not run in dual channel mode.
They were not rested to work together....that is why there were installed on slots B1 & B2 instead of the slots A2 & B2 .

Reactions: Shawn_7