Five AMD 890FX-Based Motherboards Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Great article. Very informative!

One little suggestion, in the features comparison it would be nice to include a row on the cost of these mobos. As one eventually reads in the Conclusion there is quite a bit of difference between them in this area but if this 'stat' was featured I would be able to focus only on the boards within my price range. I know that it would be hard to keep up to date and such but it would really be a service to those of us who are not made of money.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Ugh this year i already made some horrible decisions, honestly didn't think the Asus board would look so beautiful! i really wanted that board too but i already ordered a different Asus board for SLi support (with AM3)..

*Sigh*

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
interesting and very persuasive article as i was seriously thinking of getting an AMD based system instead just a few weeks ago until I finally bought a new processor. I still dont have the mb yet but reading this article made me want to get the Asus or the Gigabyte board. I would have possibly gone for a phenom II x4 or even x6 but its too late! What a good read this was and I am slowly understanding the value oriented target market that AMD and ATi offer to beginners and enthusiast builders and overclockers.

Truly.... if not for getting my i7930 I would have bought these motherboards first!

I have just purchased a i7 chip x58 chip but reading this article actually made me regret it! I have yet to buy a mb as the ud4 isnt available in Manila yet.

I will build this pc slowly but make it the best possible in the timeframe while I eke out the best of my current c2d system and netbook in the meantime.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have a gigabyte mobo and Its good, One thing I don't like is that DDR3 cannot use past 1333 range if you want to use 1600 only few slots are available.

xurwin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
[citation][nom]dEAne[/nom]I have a gigabyte mobo and Its good, One thing I don't like is that DDR3 cannot use past 1333 range if you want to use 1600 only few slots are available.[/citation] now now. breathe slowly. ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX!!!

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
hello guys! what does it mean ? 1.47v-1,50v is not safe 10x for answer
"Based on reader recommendations for long-term operation of C3-stepping Phenom II cores, we’ve dropped today’s O/C voltage to 1.45V."

heroictofu

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I tried the ASUS Crosshair IV motherboard, but I was one of the unlucky few that got hit with a bad northbridge heatsink. The northbridge was idling up to 70C. Not very fun. So, I RMA'd it and got the MSI 890FXA-GD70 and couldn't be happier! It stays incredibly cool.

terrybear

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]AlexCheng[/nom]URRGH!!! X58 or 890FX?!?!! AMD and Intel are causing me a mental breakdown!!!!!!![/citation]
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]interesting and very persuasive article as i was seriously thinking of getting an AMD based system instead just a few weeks ago until I finally bought a new processor. I still dont have the mb yet but reading this article made me want to get the Asus or the Gigabyte board. I would have possibly gone for a phenom II x4 or even x6 but its too late! What a good read this was and I am slowly understanding the value oriented target market that AMD and ATi offer to beginners and enthusiast builders and overclockers.Truly.... if not for getting my i7930 I would have bought these motherboards first!I have just purchased a i7 chip x58 chip but reading this article actually made me regret it! I have yet to buy a mb as the ud4 isnt available in Manila yet. I will build this pc slowly but make it the best possible in the timeframe while I eke out the best of my current c2d system and netbook in the meantime.[/citation]

Here's a nice little fact for anyone whom doesn't know it yet ... Intel has made it clear that Core i5 & Core i7 platforms next year are being replaced with Core i6 ( sand bridge) equivelents which means your current setups with Core i5/i7 basing is done & not forwards compatible.

with that said when sledgehammer hit next year your AM3 platform will have AM3 versions of the cpu for it.

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
I love the fact that you seem to be the only hardware website that puts a finger on the default overclocking that some motherboards do. I dont know if its done deliberatly or are if it happens by accident, but anyway its a clear sign of poor quality. That the engineers even cant get their clocks to run at the right speed only mean one thing, poor engineers, i doubt if i wanna buy products designed by people who clearly cant do their job.

MQ1hunter

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I just bought a Asrock....
While the board is great, I did have an issue with VIA 2020 HD sound, and still do. I am still in belief this a driver issue/ati. Googling showed how many other people, ran into ATI taking over their sound!!!

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]No SLI. Waste of time.[/citation]

It would be nice to see more nVidia chipsets for AMD boards.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Where is the comparison to the older 790FX? Would be nice to know if there was any improvements to the 790 other than adding of the sata6 and usb3. Would be informative to know whether its worth it or not.

As far as layout, asrock is no good. Gigabyte isn't bad, but did they include the bridge to go from slot 1 to 5 for dual CF on the 16x lanes?

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I would like to see how these boards performed with 2 graphics cards.
Isn't that the point of getting the fx over the gx?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]Where is the comparison to the older 790FX? Would be nice to know if there was any improvements to the 790 other than adding of the sata6 and usb3. Would be informative to know whether its worth it or not.As far as layout, asrock is no good. Gigabyte isn't bad, but did they include the bridge to go from slot 1 to 5 for dual CF on the 16x lanes?[/citation]

890FX doesn't have USB 3.0, it has to be added with an external chip.

But, I think what you're asking is the same thing I am curious about - are there any real changes to the Northbridge, or is it just an SB850 update.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not a big fan of Asus, since in my experience, their reliability hasn't been superior (of course, my sample set is too small to say anything definitively), but I must say I am stunned by just how efficient this motherboard is. I don't know how it can be a full 12 watts less than the next best, and 25 watts better than the Biostar (which doesn't even have all the features). This while running slightly overclocked too.

That's really quite an engineering achievement. I would not have thought it possible. Kudos to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS