Five Overclocked GeForce GTX 560 Cards, Rounded-Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleeve

Illustrious

No, absolutely not. As a matter of fact, I think they agreed to send a 560 sample, it just never showed up.
Wires probably got crossed somewhere, it's just one of those things unfortunately.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hey there's another MSI card with a dual fan design similar to the ASUS card used in this article. It runs at stock, and costs $190. Appears to be good from the reviews...
Called the MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5
Check it out if you can. Was actually hoping that this card would feature in this review...can't find the Twin Frozr II version here in India... :(

Edit: The card that i've mentioned here appears to run as cool as the Twin Frozr II...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
@Cleeve, how much gap exists between the PCB and the shroud of the ASUS card? Would it be possible to squeese in a right-angled SATA connector if it covers a SATA port? (i have a microATX mobo)...

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Good to hear... err read

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]The 280 idles higher than the 580 to the best of my knowledge, plus it's a 65nm part and the largest gaming GPU ever created.[/citation]

Very true, I own GTX280 my self and those that know these cards know that they are not the easiest cards to keep cool. GT200 65nm 576mm2 while the GF110 is only 520mm2. Sadly one of my gtx280's ihs isn't as even as it should be so temps are slightly higher than desired. The other idles cooler despite a 8800gt being wedged next to it for dedicated physx. Beyond that they hold up in sli rather well and openGL works just for kicks.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]@Cleeve, how much gap exists between the PCB and the shroud of the ASUS card? Would it be possible to squeese in a right-angled SATA connector if it covers a SATA port? (i have a microATX mobo)...[/citation]

I have that card. I got it for $150 on sale. I can not mess with the voltage on my mobo for some reason...so I have to work w/o that change. The reason that I got was based on this:

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/how-to-build-a-kick-ass-battlefield-3-pc:

"
Having established in our benchmarks that the GeForce GTX 560 is the first choice for High Quality Battlefield 3 gaming, but also that performance was at times just above the sweet spot, we looked around for something other than a generic GeForce GTX 560; something with a bit of extra oomph. The answer came in the form of the MSI N560GTX, a competitively priced GTX 560 that’s not factory-overclocked like other, more expensive models, but is comprised of custom components and a twin-fan cooler, allowing you to perform the overclocking yourself, quickly, easily, and safely through the use of EVGA Precision. Between the custom cooler and components, performance can be pushed towards the level of the pricier GTX 560 Ti, helping you maintain a silky smooth frame rate at all times."

And the answer for me so far is that yes...a 560 is fine. I do have an older 4 core cpu @ 2.5 and 6 gigs of ddr2 and I have a feeling that I could see a bump in FPS if I got a !5...I'd love to SLI down the road.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Hey there's another MSI card with a dual fan design similar to the ASUS card used in this article. It runs at stock, and costs $190. Appears to be good from the reviews...Called the MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5Check it out if you can. Was actually hoping that this card would feature in this review...can't find the Twin Frozr II version here in India... Edit: The card that i've mentioned here appears to run as cool as the Twin Frozr II...[/citation]

oops I was responding to this.

jediron

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Why are these card tested and NOT the Geforce GTX560 Ti cards and NOT the new 2GB models ?

This feels like "too little, too late" to me :/

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]for $50-80 less you can get a 6870...[/citation]

Maybe you can get the cheapest 6870 for $35 less than the cheapest GTX 560.

But you can overclock a GTX 560 to get performance comparable to a Radeon HD 6950 or GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Can't do that with a 6870, so you get something for the premium.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]opqqopo[/nom]Your kidding right, my overclocked 580GTX at 60% fan speed idles at 32c. Cards down clock themselves which allows them to run cooler at idle temps even if it were clocked at upwards i don't think a card would get hot unless it was being used.[/citation]

The temperatures are shown as a delta... that means the difference between the GPU temp and the ambient temp.

You need to read the charts for them to make sense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.