Five U.S. Attorneys General Object to Google Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Wow, so states trying to be greedy. What ever happened to "Of the people, for the people and by the people" It should be rewritten to "Of the corporation, for the corporation and by the corporation".

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
How the hell did we get ourselves into position where people who know next to nothing about technology can dictate rules and regulations to everyone else?

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." King Henry VI (Act IV, Scene II).

[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]How the hell did we get ourselves into position where people who know next to nothing about technology can dictate rules and regulations to everyone else?"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." King Henry VI (Act IV, Scene II).[/citation]
Well said!

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Regected[/nom]Wow, so states trying to be greedy. What ever happened to "Of the people, for the people and by the people" It should be rewritten to "Of the corporation, for the corporation and by the corporation".[/citation]
Uhm, the states aren't being greedy. Apparently google is trying to make money off unclaimed works and you're calling the states greedy?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I simply want a easy, quick, and convenient source for books online.
My library has limited stock, my book store is too expensive, and buying books online usually is still insanely expensive.
I have pirated many books and I have no care about the legality. Plain and simple, I want something I can't get locally, and I want it now.
I support Google for trying to have an online book resource.

I have a friend whose job is to try and find individuals who are entitled to receive payments for their works. You would be surprised at the number of authors who never became famous. They don't do change of address notifications and literally disappear without a trace.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I simply want a easy, quick, and convenient source for books online.My library has limited stock, my book store is too expensive, and buying books online usually is still insanely expensive.I have pirated many books and I have no care about the legality. Plain and simple, I want something I can't get locally, and I want it now.I support Google for trying to have an online book resource.[/citation]

NO the states treasurer get the work if the copyright holder is dead, in this deal google can publish it without the copyright holder consent,m this is the STATE being deadly because now they wont be able to chharge for this material if it freely avaliable online

G

sceen311: Go re-read the last paragraph, they say that unclaimed property should go to the state treasurer ie: the states want their cut for doing nothing.

The problem in this country is that our politicians are corrupt and stupid, that's a bad combination, America is the ponzi scheme that just refuses to go bust. Soviet style collapse anyone? Don't feel bad, I'm sure the Romans never thought that they'd fall either... Ironically enough, a war in Afghanistan has been the downfall of all of the empires, Alexander the Great was the last to successfully conquer Afghanistan, and he only kept it for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.