FIX IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error windows 8.1 update FIX

TheOnlyBluey

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
The solution I choose is simply to end this thread! It will most likely be the first one!

THE FIX without losing any data!!
You may want to write these down or have a way of knowing what to do, you will have no internet on PC for a majority of the time!

1. Download 8.1 from store

2. When its done DO NOT restart, click cancel and then shut down, making sure all your old drivers for internet card are uninstalled AND 8.1 DRIVERS ARE DOWNLOADED, Not installed!

3. When shut down, unplug PC and open up case, and remove your Internet card.

4. Turn on PC and let PC update to 8.1

5. Install the 8.1 drivers for internet card which should have been downloaded not installed!

6. Shut down PC

7. Put internet card back in

8. Boot up PC, set up internet connection, and enjoy your done! You have windows 8.1!

I tried this on my PC and it worked thought I'd share it on my own post where I couldn't find a fix.

I have seen a lot people look at this (around 22,000!!) and not sure if it is actually working for everyone. Not sure if you can still reply but I'd love to hear from people letting me know if it is working!

The error I was experiencing below!

Hello Tom's Hardware,

After many many tries i have failed to update to windows 8.1 because of the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, I have read places that it could be my ASUS PCI-E Wireless network adapter. I have very recently taken it out and reinstalled drivers. I may have to do this after downloading windows 8.1 but am seeking further advice before doing so.
My PC specs are:
ASUS r9 280x (GPU)
Intel 4670K (CPU)
ASUS H87M-PRO (Motherboard)
PCE-N53 PCI-E Adapter (Network adapter) SOURCE OF ERROR!
Corsair 750W power Supply (PSU)
8GB RAM
1TB (HDD)

The PC is quite new (less than 1 year) and built by myself. This is the only problem I have had and would really love to update to 8.1.
I am almost 100% positive that all my drivers are up to date as microsoft have told me over and over "Your drivers are probably out of date" they are not!
Help is appreciated :D
TheOnlyBluey

When you built the machine did you install the drivers from the disk that came with the motherboard?

Its important that you do , and its often important that you do that before you install the graphics drivers .

1/ The fix is probably going to involve refreshing win 8 over itself , which is a complete pain since it will remove all your programs [ but not your data ] and you will have to reinstall them after you have reinstalled the mb drivers and then graphics .

2/ But if you are feeling lucky try uninstalling all traces of the graphics drivers , then run the mb disk , then reboot a couple of times , then add the graphics drivers, and finally the wireless card drivers . Its a long shot though

3/ Another option is to try an manually assign an IRQ to the problem device . But Changing system resources such as IRQ channels can result in your computer not functioning correctly, I would suggest you to always make a note of the settings before you change anything so you can restore them back if required.

Note: To change the settings you much login as a Administrator account.

If you do have a conflict and need to change an IRQ setting:

a. Right click on the device in the list (see above), and then select properties.
b. Click the Resources tab.
c. Remove the tick from the Use automatic settings option.
d. Select a non-conflicting configuration from the pull down box.
e. Click OK.

Sometimes auto is the only option , and you will need to be sure which device is causing the problem

TheOnlyBluey

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Its funny because I have tried already to refresh my PC and that says I cant Ill give you the error this afternoon when I can. But ill look into the other fixes as well
Thankyou heaps!

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I had this EXACT issue with my Asus PCIE WiFi card, here's how I fixed it.

1. Remove the card from your PC.
2. Using a CD/USB, reformat and reinstall windows
3. Download the driver for the WiFi card on another computer, USB it over and install on your problematic PC
4. Turn off, install card, turn on, your good!

Let me know if it works!

TheOnlyBluey

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I might try and remove my PCI-E card after downloading Windows 8.1 and installing it while it's out, if that does not work then I will try a way you guys recommended. I will post the how I did it if it works. Really I don't wanna be messing with my drivers and doing things that will mess things up as I don't really know what I'm doing in those steps.
I will definitely look into the step you guys recommended but I will need to first be sure that it isn't just my wireless card.

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I had an IDENTICAL error with an IDENTICAL card, Im 99.9% sure my steps should solve your issue. Make sure you download the drivers from the ASUS website. Make sure to pick the correct solution when you resolve.your problem!

TheOnlyBluey

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I'm sure it does it's just that I don't want to have to wipe my PC just for windows 8.1, I'm about to try refreshing PC and then trying again. Then Ill do what I said Before.

TheOnlyBluey

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Can't refresh PC as I am missing some files, my installation media will give these files. One problem I don't have the installation media. I got Windows off of my friends USB as he had a spare copy. (No it was not pirated I'm 100% sure)

TheOnlyBluey

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I HAVE A FIX!! You may want to write these down or have a way of knowing what to do, you will have no internet on PC for a majority of the time!

1. Download 8.1 from store

2. When its done DO NOT restart, click cancel and then shut down, making sure all your old drivers for internet card are uninstalled AND 8.1 DRIVERS ARE DOWNLOADED, Not installed!

3. When shut down, unplug PC and open up case, and remove your Internet card.

4. Turn on PC and let PC update to 8.1

5. Install the 8.1 drivers for internet card which should have been downloaded not installed!

6. Shut down PC

7. Put internet card back in

8. Boot up PC, set up internet connection, and enjoy your done! You have windows 8.1!

I tried this on my PC and it worked thought I'd share it on my own post where I couldn't find a fix.