[SOLVED] Fix PageFile.Sys (or Chrome)

roninnewyork

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure Chrome is clogging up my pagefile.sys.

My version is: Version 80.0.3987.122 (Official Build) (64-bit)

If I leave Chrome running overnight or let it run too long (whatever that means), my C: drive is at 100%.

If I exit Chrome, it's usually OK.

I assume this is due to Chrome filling up pagefile.sys but I really don't know what the cause is.

Is there a remedy?

RON

Solution
can you show us a screenshot of task manager sorted by Disk at a time where its showing 100%? (upload it to an image sharing website and show link here)
What are specs of PC?

I doubt its page file, unless you have very little ram. A screenshot of the memory tab in Task manager at same time you have 100% usage might help, it would show page file usage

Chrome has been known to create logs, and might be writing something else to disk.

You could run this to confirm it is chrome
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram...
Chrome is a good browser, but it is a memory hog. Right now I have it running with 12 tabs, and it's currently using 1.5 GB of RAM. Start Task Manager and look to see how much it's using on your PC. Maybe you need to start less tabs and/or add RAM.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us a screenshot of task manager sorted by Disk at a time where its showing 100%? (upload it to an image sharing website and show link here)
What are specs of PC?

I doubt its page file, unless you have very little ram. A screenshot of the memory tab in Task manager at same time you have 100% usage might help, it would show page file usage

Chrome has been known to create logs, and might be writing something else to disk.

You could run this to confirm it is chrome
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

Last edited:
Solution