[SOLVED] Fix pen drive to use for installing windows.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Busy creating a bootable usb for windows I found that my usb pen drive has two partitions.

Now I don't know if this is a problem when creating a bootable usb.

Should I with some help resolve the multiple partitions issue first , or with some help just use the correct way to create a bootable drive (seems the drive in question is wiped of all data apon creation with various tools that I've used anyway) but I don't know if it is also taking care of the partitions as well.

Solution
wouldn't diskpart do it?

what OS are you using to make it?

if 10

choose settings/update & security/recovery
under Advanced startup, click restart now

windows will open in blue menu

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk...

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
you have to use a different tool to update your win 7 installer. i've detailed it multiple times in this part of the forum.

get a fresh win 7 iso from MS, then update it with this

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

it'll install. does not mean you get all the win 7 drivers you may need but it will install and run on your new hardware

I'm trying it ( waiting to download ) but I don't quite understand something that is if all drivers that are used by windows are still dated 2006 versions on this windows 11 even and my pc uses mostly default drivers besides for gpu where the date is of this year for those drivers why does the image for windows seven need better drivers?

Isn't 2006 versions, compatible due predating windows seven it self?

It is a funny business indeed, at one point I even noticed the drivers all being of the current year along the windows update path. ( somewhere between the windows 10 and 11 versions that was a thing)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's not better drivers it's ones that are not currently in the iso. you're adding some updates as well as additional drivers to run modern usb ports and other features needed to complete the install. there are lots of reasons a new/old driver does not work on a different windows version. some of it is artificial blocks, like win 7 not "authorized" on new hardware when it installs fine with some updates, and the rest is different code used for the various versions, different needs of newer hardware vs older hardware and so on. for instance gpu's can be directly accessed by programs now vs when it had to go through the cpu first. there is no way the code is the same for both circumstances. so something new won't work with the old system and vice versa when the needs are completely different. someone has to specifically write that new code and there is little reason to write such code when win 7 is end of life. "but i want to use it" is not enough of a reason. lol

i'm in the same boat as i am a win 7 user and refuse to use win 10 or 11. but i am also realistic about what that means to me and how i can use my new pc. :)

you can't expect something written in python to work in java just because java existed when the code was written in python. that's pretty much what you are saying above. windows changes every version and not everything is compatible between versions including drivers, micro controllers and so on.

also note:
this updater takes a LONG time. so start it and go to bed. it'll be done in the morning :)

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
No, that did not work either, now I'm going with MBR and NTFS again with the latest update.

Funny I would have thought that the right combination would be MBR + Fat32, but for some reason that is not selectable, feel like this is running around in circles.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
MBR+NTFS is for legacy/CSM install.
GPT+FAT32 is for UEFI install.

Why are you trying those random combinations?

Well I was just trying all the possible combinations to find a workable result, Isn't win10 and win 11 also on fat32 to be able to boot.

Anyway I got good news, the last attempt finally gave me a bootable and functioning windows 7 usb, what I did was used the updater mentioned above, and did every update to the image besides all versions, Do know if that is required for installing the default Ultimate version of my image, then I used Rufus with the new image and selected MBR+UEFI, and set the bios to CSM support enabled and with everything els related to that disabled, clicked on the usb and the setup booted with a new win8 or win10 installer before entering it's own version selection screen, I have full mouse and keyboard control and the drives are all listed, I geuse all that remains is to go ahead and install now and see if it becomes a fully function OS.

Do know if that is required for installing the default Ultimate version of my image
For windows 7 on a modern hardware requirements are:
integrated drivers into installation - USB + NVME,​
integrated hotfixes into installation for NVME support.​
in BIOS - sata controller set to AHCI (not Intel RST),​
If you're using legacy install, then set storage boot control to legacy (in CSM options).​
Installation media prepared for legacy/MBR can be installed in legacy mode only (you have to boot it in legacy mode).
Installation media prepared for UEFI/GPT can be installed in UEFI mode only (you have to boot it in UEFI mode).
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Clean drive before installing windows onto it (use diskpart clean method).

After install phase you'll need to find windows 7 compatible drivers for all your devices - audio, lan, wifi.
Without drivers those devices will not work.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
For windows 7 on a modern hardware requirements are:
integrated drivers into installation - USB + NVME,​
integrated hotfixes into installation for NVME support.​
in BIOS - sata controller set to AHCI (not Intel RST),​
If you're using legacy install, then set storage boot control to legacy (in CSM options).​
Installation media prepared for legacy/MBR can be installed in legacy mode only (you have to boot it in legacy mode).
Installation media prepared for UEFI/GPT can be installed in UEFI mode only (you have to boot it in UEFI mode).
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Clean drive before installing windows onto it (use diskpart clean method).

After install phase you'll need to find windows 7 compatible drivers for all your devices - audio, lan, wifi.
Without drivers those devices will not work.

I Read you. I made another update of the image and added all versions, but my installer only shows windows 7 and not all possible versions, don't know if that's an issue moving forward.

Then I was thinking running the setup over win 11, switching to CSM supported mode on first reboot, then finishing the setup, think that's at all possible?

TRENDING THREADS