Question Fixed a GPU overheating issue last week, but my computer keeps crashing at random intervals while gaming, browsing, or idling

Jonathan2

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
Motherboard: MSI B350m (3 years old)
GPU: Radeon 5700XT (4 months old)
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (3 years old)
PSU: ARESGAME AGV 650w (1 month old)

About a week ago, my computer was randomly crashing when loading games. The displays would shut off, and the peripheral devices (such as the keyboard and mouse) would shut off and lose connection as well. However the fans and motherboard would still be powered and running in the PC, and the only way to fix it is holding down the restart button and waiting for it to turn on.
I did my own troubleshooting on this issue and guessed it was my GPU overheating. I downloaded a hardware monitor and noticed when starting to play Rocket League, my GPU would get above 95°C and guessed this was the source of my crash. This was very weird because I have too many fans and a very cooling-oriented case. I shut down my PC, opened it up, and found that one of my cables somehow bent upwards and was blocking 1 of the 2 GPU fans from spinning. I quickly fixed this and it solved my overheating issue and got no crashes.

The next day, I was watching a YouTube video on Brave and my PC crashed in the identical way. I thought maybe the GPU fan was blocked again, so I started watching it, and it was working perfectly fine. I played some beefy games such as RDR2 or Rocket League again for about 5 hours straight with no crashes, so I thought it was an anomaly. Unfortunately it crashed later while browsing the internet, and crashed again this morning during a work zoom call.
This time as it crashed, I looked more in-depth on the motherboard and noticed the ez-debug light on my motherboard was lit up on the "CPU" light. This the first time I've had any issues with the CPU. Every cable seems fine, my PSU had no issues before this, etc.
What could be the cause of this? Since the issue didn't start until after the overheating issue, I would guess it fried part of my motherboard. However I never noticed any smell, smoke, or any symptoms. Just the occasional crash from light loads.

I ordered a new CPU fan and extra fan to see if that helps the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

Feb 16, 2021
i see that your psu is new , maybe you just forgot to connect all the cables? , maybe the one to power the cpu?
i dont see how it would even start at all. not to mention the PSU is a month old and the issue started a week or so ago. im having a very similar issue. The only things that helped me (which were temporary) was reinstalling GPU drivers and new thermal compound on the GPU die