Fixed Or Not, The 20nm Snapdragon 810 Will Have To Compete With The 14nm Exynos 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Why is it the US editions of phones get a cheaper CPU system than the international? Sounds like BS...
I guess you're talking about Samsung? As far as I understand from the rumours, the US version of the Galaxy S6 will most likely have an Exynos processor, too.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think it should be obvious why Samsung would use Qualcomm's Snapdragon. It was cheaper and performed better than they can produce. They have the capacity to do it themselves but choose not to.
Will Exynos perform better than Snapdragon? Doesn't matter all that matters is cost.

Suo_Eno

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
"if the company decides to compete directly with Qualcomm by selling Exynos 7 to other companies."

That's the big "if" right there and I'm probably one of the more vocal Samsung critics around. This is sensationalist at this stage and I'd like to know why suddenly when/if there's a marked improvement w/ Exynos 7420 then automatically Samsung is out to dominate the mobile SoC world?

The only and yet yes maybe positively critical diff for Samsung right now is that they got the 14nm process leverage so of course they're gonna go ahead with that.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Well Samsung can't compete in lo & even mid range of market. That's left him a Hi end only. In this circumstances it makes more than common sense that they favor in house made SoC's. I don't really know did they increased number of GPU cores with Exyunos 7420. The new MALI's gen 7 & 8 are surprisingly competitive. This is only thing they need to push Qualcomm out as even Adrenos look like they have edge they also have problems like no support for half flout precision & huge problems with any kind of surface texture transform. Anyway if this happens Qualcomm is on the way to collapse as Samsung is still biggest manufacturer & Mediatek made much better entry level & mid grade SoCs this year so Qualcomm is totally uncompetitive. Even I know that the Power VR's are still best licensable GPU solution with really good Android driver's they are not good for any other OS because lack of driver support & that's why MALI is gaining share... little of topic. About price; if Samsung goes only with Exynos that will actually rise production cost of S810.

Jul 24, 2014
The 256 bit bus is a concern for 4K gaming. I think a 512bit bus on future iterations is more important for the 970gtx and 980gtx. If you look at 780TI performance on resolutions of 1440P or higher, the 384bit bus does better than the 256bit cards.

II12yanII

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
i dont really care if the exynos is faster or anything. whats its power draw. if its drawing twice the power of the snapdragon then i wont even want a phone that has that chip in it. phones now a days are so fast that it doesnt really matter anymore i would just like a chip in my phone that doesnt drain the battery in a few hours of games. i have the snapdragon 800 in my phone right now and it doesnt lag at all no matter how many apps i have open or for any game i play

MagicHead23

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
I think it should be obvious why Samsung would use Qualcomm's Snapdragon. It was cheaper and performed better than they can produce. They have the capacity to do it themselves but choose not to.
Will Exynos perform better than Snapdragon? Doesn't matter all that matters is cost.

How would it be cheaper for Samsung to buy the Qualcomm 810?? If Samsung uses their own 7420 then they would more easily be able to increase their profits since it is their own chip. And from what I have seen, the 7420 outperforms the Snapdragon 810.

MagicHead23

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

How would it be cheaper for Samsung to buy the Qualcomm 810?? If Samsung uses their own 7420 then they would more easily be able to increase their profits since it is their own chip. And from what I have seen, the 7420 outperforms the Snapdragon 810.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

you clearly are on crack. We are talking smartphones here, in particular US edition ones, nothing to do with desktop GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.