Question Fixing hdd vibration.

Jul 3, 2020
My new custom pc had a very bad humming sound. So I thought it's from ryzen stock cooler. But then I found out its from the hdd vibration. Apparently if it even touches the case slightly the whole case vibrate giving annoying noise. Now after searching a bit I tried adding some foam padding but the drive bay is so packed that it has space for only hdd(3.5"). So I took the hdd and placed it in front in open area and added some foam underneath it.( the vibration is gone now). Can you please check and say if its OK? The img: View: http://imgur.com/gallery/KCnhZuD

My new custom pc had a very bad humming sound. So I thought it's from ryzen stock cooler. But then I found out its from the hdd vibration. Apparently if it even touches the case slightly the whole case vibrate giving annoying noise. Now after searching a bit I tried adding some foam padding but the drive bay is so packed that it has space for only hdd(3.5"). So I took the hdd and placed it in front in open area and added some foam underneath it.( the vibration is gone now). Can you please check and say if its OK? The img: View: http://imgur.com/gallery/KCnhZuD
You need to hold it down, HDDs are very sensitive to jarring and movement while running because of heads that are separated from fast moving platters by few microns. A head crash can ruin whole disk and most if not all data on it.

Reactions: Benqwer

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check the drive bays. If the hdd was bolted down tight, then the sound/vibration will transfer, and many times it's not the hdd/cage connection but the cage/case connection with a loose screw or rivet that's not tight. Ideally the hdd will have rubber grommets the screws pass through to prevent transfered vibration while still securing the hdd.

Reactions: Benqwer
Jul 3, 2020
Check the drive bays. If the hdd was bolted down tight, then the sound/vibration will transfer, and many times it's not the hdd/cage connection but the cage/case connection with a loose screw or rivet that's not tight. Ideally the hdd will have rubber grommets the screws pass through to prevent transfered vibration while still securing the hdd.
It's a sliding mechanism drive bay. And also I checked it's not the drive bay problem cause when I hold the hdd by hand, no sound. But as soon as the hdd touches any part of the pc case it vibrates. Also I can't find any cheap vibration dampening mounting bracket for 3.5". So I did this. Thanks for your concern.

Jul 3, 2020
I would not let a HDD run loose in the case.

What is the make/model of the case?

One solution may be to suspend the HDD with rubber bands.
You may be able to make room for this by using two mounting bays.
Actually it's not loose actually. I cut plastic same size as hdd and and glued some foam to it and then put some glue on the mounting bracket(didn't remove it from hdd) and placed it on the foam( I did the measurements) now I will rope the entire(with a rubber band maybe?) thing in place. The pic doesn't have the plastic piece(I got the idea later). Anyways the case is a cheap antec nx200.