[SOLVED] Fixing my wifi

Rockyb11

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
So I have a rather large house, about 5000 sq ft. My wifi through the house has always been generally not the best by the last decade's standards but over the last 2 years its been to the point of absolute crap. My router is located over my garage in my business office so its already on the top floor. The house has very thick walls, thick concrete foundation, and thick concrete floors. The router I have is the one they gave me from comcast, and I have one cheap netgear or something extender in the middle of my house on the first floor. My biggest issue is the basement because it is where we have our hangout area with a xbox and a 4k tv from streaming, If anyone is down there on the wifi while trying to stream, it buffers a-lot or just downgrades the quality. My regular non-extender wifi does not show up on anything down there and the extender gets 2 bars, on a good day. So what I am trying to get at is more bandwidth and more range. Speed isn't the biggest deal, its got a good speed when you have a good signal. Any help to fix this asap will be greatly appreciated

Solution
Your best option is to pay to have ethernet run. The pros can get it installed with very little damage to the walls. You of course could do it the ISP way and just drill though the outside walls and run it on the outside of the house.

You don't have many options. You could try powerline units the newer AV2 units work for most people. You can buy units that have small AP built into the remote end or you can plug in a actual AP. Although you can run more than 2 units they all share the same bandwidth so the more you add the slower they all go.

If you have tv coax run you can try MoCA units. They are similar to powerline but use the coax cable. They tend to be more expensive than powerline.

kanewolf

Titan
Does this 5000 sq ft house have ethernet cabling? You really need to have at least one WIFI source per floor (including basement), IMO. Cable several access points back to a gigabit switch, then connect that switch to the router. Disable WIFI on the router and use only one manufacture's access points for WIFI.
I converted my home to the Ubiquiti UniFI hardware family. Not the cheapest solution, but one of the most comprehensive.

Rockyb11

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Does this 5000 sq ft house have ethernet cabling? You really need to have at least one WIFI source per floor (including basement), IMO. Cable several access points back to a gigabit switch, then connect that switch to the router. Disable WIFI on the router and use only one manufacture's access points for WIFI.
I converted my home to the Ubiquiti UniFI hardware family. Not the cheapest solution, but one of the most comprehensive.
No ethernet wiring, except for my office. Would take some real work to put that in, when I built the house it was not my biggest concern :/

Your best option is to pay to have ethernet run. The pros can get it installed with very little damage to the walls. You of course could do it the ISP way and just drill though the outside walls and run it on the outside of the house.

You don't have many options. You could try powerline units the newer AV2 units work for most people. You can buy units that have small AP built into the remote end or you can plug in a actual AP. Although you can run more than 2 units they all share the same bandwidth so the more you add the slower they all go.

If you have tv coax run you can try MoCA units. They are similar to powerline but use the coax cable. They tend to be more expensive than powerline.

Solution