[SOLVED] "Fixing" old wifi?

xSyferTheMan

Reputable
May 17, 2016
I have an old router that would be a pain to swap out but it only supports b and g wifi. Right now im 100mbps wired and about 24mpbs on wifi. I was wondering if connecting an access point that supports wifi 4 and 5 to my router via ethernet would allow me to wirelessly connect to that access point so I can get my full speed. .

Solution
My current router is an actiontec mi424wr rev e with fios on a 100/100 plan. The reason im looking for a way to bypass getting a new router is because from what Ive read replacing a fios router can be a hassle especially if you have TV which I do
You have Verizon FiOS?
If you also have TV through them, a Verizon router needs to be in the chain somewhere. That's what talks to the STB's and delivers the TV lineup.

Look to change to the G1100. I did, and it's miles better than that ActionTec.
While a new access point would certainly allow 100mbps speeds (limited by the 10/100 ports on the old router) on the local network, what is the ISP speed?

A router with a MIPsel CPU can only rout about 100Mbps WAN-to-LAN in software at around 450MHz while Wireless-G router CPUs were closer to 200MHz. Old firmware from that era is also going to be riddled with security vulnerabilities while newer 3rd-party firmware (if there is any) will all but ensure all routing is done in software as generally hardware acceleration tricks aren't well supported.

So yes, any money you'd spend on an AP would be better spent on a router.

xSyferTheMan

Reputable
May 17, 2016
My current router is an actiontec mi424wr rev e with fios on a 100/100 plan. The reason im looking for a way to bypass getting a new router is because from what Ive read replacing a fios router can be a hassle especially if you have TV which I do

Who is your ISP? Did they supply the router? You COULD ask them if you can get a rev i:
At least then you would have Gigabit and Wireless n.

But honestly, quickly looking at both routers, I don't see anything special about them. It would be a little different if you said you used it for VOIP, but you don't, so any good router on the market SHOULD work here. EDIT: Nevermind, I see the coax connection, so that next suggestion wasn't going to work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

no. get a faster/better/newer router. i can't imagine a router as being a pain to swap.
I take it back, if it's a CISCO switch, it can be a real pain... lol, we had to go thru that at work recently... wowsers... big upset.

USAFRet

Titan
You have Verizon FiOS?
If you also have TV through them, a Verizon router needs to be in the chain somewhere. That's what talks to the STB's and delivers the TV lineup.

Look to change to the G1100. I did, and it's miles better than that ActionTec.

Solution
It's not that much of a hassle. Your TV just needs a MOCA connection to receive internet signals. Routers like the G1100 have it built in.

Just buy the G1100, hook the ethernet cable coming from the ONT box(fiber to ethernet box) to the WAN port of the router. Then connect the coax cable to the wall outlet. Then call verizon and have them update to the new router in their system. They might have to release and enable the IP address on their end. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

You'll be much much happier with the wireless N range and bandwidth.

TRENDING THREADS