Fixing/saving a decently working hdd (help!)

Trance_1

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
1.The incident
2. Home fixing attempt
3. friend place and using the secondary hdd
4. the issue that persist.

1. Ok, so I had a sad incident... Tower fell on the side and had 2 hdd in it... Next thing I know.. The OS doesn't boot and I have very limited options in how I could try to fix it.

2.After several trial to fix using windows repair, sfc, chkdsk, etc... I ended with "A read disk error occurred
Press ctrl+alt+del". So, I figured I couldn't do much on my own as I did not even have a windows disk at my place...

3. At friend place, I used his secondary comp in hope to fix my things. Upon plugging my OS drive as a slave. IT highly slowed his comp and it didnt get past the windows logo. After maybe 10 min, I ended up with windows going in a chkdisk on its own. Obviously, it had a lot of error found and took over 1 hour maybe 2 just to get the chkdsk done! Once I reboot ? It still wanted to do a more chkdsk. At that point, I gave up on the OS HDD. Figuring I need a working computer fast. I decided to see if fixing the secondary hdd would give better results! So, I do a chkdsk and then try to install windows 7. Turns out that the secondary drive was uefi and the windows I was trying to install was legacy. So, I deleted partitions and changed them to Legacy. Installed his windows 7 and booted nicely after a little while.

4. While the OS is working I still have some issue with HDD speed. The strangest thing isnt how slow it is. Its how inconsistent it is.
a) I seen it run at start having issue around 1mb/sec and be perfectly fine at 10mb/sec+.
b) It is clicking from time to time. Sometime it will be fine for a long time if I do not do anything more then watch a movie/streaming. It can also be somewhat periodic. A few second, a few min or 10 min.
c) When it start clicking it will either do it for an amount of time or be stuck in clicking and OS seem to stall. I never left the computer open more then 2 min when it stall during clicking to prevent further damage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the clicking and hopefully info that will give clues to someone that can help me!

The clicking seem to be more common when I open many things related to windows, browsing.
IE does not click much at all unless I have many pages open and even then.. Nothing compared to Chrome.
Chrome was often very long to start and would often make the hdd click as hell.
Firefox would start quite fast and does click much at all. Kinda like IE to my surprise
Once I installed flash player, Firefox became very unstable for the hdd for about 3 reboot.

Why do I say that clicking is related to windows and browsing ?
To do a test because I was impressed at how movies didn't seem to impact the hdd much, I opened in vlc 10 video files and let them play for 30 min with sound on. From time to time I would hear 1 or 2 video take a little pause to load properly and yet I never heard the hdd click once!
I closed all the vlc window and went on the internet. Figuring that maybe spinning actualy fixed the thing... few tabs open in firefox and I could hear the clicking sound start which ended causing a hdd stall or crash. I didnt wait more then a min to hold the power button and I dont want to damage the hdd more then it is. I will admit tho, that now I have less clicking issue with going around in windows. Maybe because it is in a page file ? I have no clue.

HDD being used
HGST HTS 541010A9E680 SCSI Disk

Trance_1

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

Thank you for your reply!
While I did not include any, I tried S.M.A.R.T check. At first, it seemed like it was not included on the drive. Now, after reading your post I figured it was kinda strange and went to get a tool that dig a little deeper.

I used this tool just now:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/

I know what the words mean on the result screen but am not aware of what exactly they relate to. HDD is probably what I had the least issue with in my life. In fact, its the first time!

Here are the results:
(I ran it 3 times. The first time I pressed a key and it closed the window. The 2nd time there was something that did not come exactly the same! So I ran it a 3rd time in hope to get the first result again and oddly enough it worked!)

Check 1 missing, but should be the same as check 3

Check 2 is on the left and check 3 is on the right. The part missing from check 3 is exactly 100% the same as check 2.

2xB1eTc.png

P.S. Most likely obvious, but "right click, view image" will allow to see it in it's save resolution!

Trance_1

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

Short Self-Test give error [1] message and looking it up on Hard Disk Sentinel, it apparently is not uncommon to see this test not be supported. Is it related to my problem ? Unable to tell...

As for the "test" in overview. Here are the results:

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
Failure Predicted - Attribute: 7 Seek Error Rate, Rate of positioning errors of the read/write heads. Indicate problem with servo, head. High temperature can also cause this problem.
There are 12984 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Based on the number of remapping operations, the bad sectors may form continuous areas.
There are 9928 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
30061 errors occured during data transfer.
Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 268 times.
In case of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible file(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.
More information: http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php
Replace hard disk immediately.

Again, is it related to my problem ? Maybe, all other software I tried were unable to tell my health status.

Result
Failure code: 0x72 - Defective Device. S.M.A.R.T. Failure.
Technical Result Code (TRC)
7200A27B

This is where it stop doing the quick or advanced test.

Thank you for helping me and if you have