[SOLVED] Fixing WiFi dongle to a device only

Nov 3, 2021
I have a weird issue I need to resolve, I have a wifi dongle in a PC and a WiFi device that casts an SSID....I can't change any settings on the device. I want to set the dongle up so it can only communicate with that device only. Can't connect to any other SSID. The device has a MAC address and wondered if we could use that to fix the comes between the dongle and the device. No router involved.....just direct to the device.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Ant

Solution
Nothing will connect to the PC since it doesn't broadcast a SSID. Only strange thing that might be possible would be if 2 pc connected to the device and then the device allows traffic to pass between them.

The PC is really stupid it will only connect to what you configure it to. It is why your PC does not attempt to connect to your neighbors wifi......unless you are the kid trying to get past the parental controls :)
What do you mean it only connects to that device. Windows unless you set it to look for open wifi will only connect to stuff you configure. So you put in the SSID and password and it should connect only to that device because you have not defined anything else for it to connect to.

Now if you mean you want to prevent someone from changing your configuration on your PC to connect to something else that is a much more complex question.

Reactions: antsals
Nov 3, 2021
Apologies its a hard one to explain, the device has a wireless signal ssid being transmitted....just to keep it simple it could be a temperature sensor....to read the value I could find the WiFi ssid on my phone and connect directly to it and read the temperature. The device won't connect to a router at all. What I want to restrict in my case the pc that connects to the device is the only thing it can connect too.....and nothing else could connect to the pc with the dongle....and visa versa......does that make more sense?

Restricting the configuration on the pc maybe the answer.....so that the wifi dongle could only ever connect to the device.....

Cheers
Ant

Nothing will connect to the PC since it doesn't broadcast a SSID. Only strange thing that might be possible would be if 2 pc connected to the device and then the device allows traffic to pass between them.

The PC is really stupid it will only connect to what you configure it to. It is why your PC does not attempt to connect to your neighbors wifi......unless you are the kid trying to get past the parental controls :)

Solution