Fixstars Releases 13 TB SSD for Specific Application Workloads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

A single Blu-Ray movie might use around 25GB or 50GB of space. People who have lots of blu-ray movies and want digital copies of them can easily fill several TB with just movies. That's just one example. People who have lots of very high quality pictures such as those taken by most modern cell phones can fill up a lot of space with those too. Of course, as you know games can take up a lot of space too. People who have played a lot of large games can easily fill over a TB with games over several years. GTA V was far from the first game around 50GB and there are many, many more at least over 20GB.

Then we have people who do editing and other things that can take up lots of space just for the programs, let alone the projects. Then there's people who mess around with virtual machines, game servers, and the list goes on and on.

I'll give you a hint. Handbrake, CQ factor 21. Tell me you can see the difference between a 40GB raw m2ts and a 4GB mkv ...
Video games taking up over 20GB is stupid and due to uncompress FLAC audio and forcing you to install Every language pack. There's no reason a game needs to be over 10GB unless it's a huge game. Look at the Crysis Games.

I don't have such files nor the program atm to try it, but I can say that the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray can be seen, and not just from two inches in front of the screen either. Changing channel from a non-HD station to an HD station on cable is very obvious. Of course, this is all heavily dependent on the TV or monitor that you're watching the media on, but still. Also, I imagine that it would take more than a bit of work to convert a library of Blu-Ray movies down to something smaller under the assumption you won't see a difference and want to reduce the "wasted" storage capacity.

As for games, while I mostly agree with you, that isn't something we always have direct control over, unless we want to do some hacking or pirating. Most people can't use the first option and the second option (which I should mention is not supported by Tom's) relies on a good internet connection, something many people don't have.

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

This is not DVD vs Bluray quality. This is saying that people are storing RAW 40GB .m2ts files of Bluray rips on their hard drives. I'm saying that using some easy to use free, popular software (handbrake) you can store Bluray movies at a much more reasonable size (4-8GB per movie not 25-50GB) with no loss in visible quality.
The comment I replied to is implying that people rip CDs in WAV lossless and then need bigger MP3 players. Not how it works.

You can do something about games doing this by speaking with your dollars and Not Buying them. You can email developers. Or you can post angry rants on Tom's Forums that no one will ever read ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS