[SOLVED] Flash drive not showing in my computer but laptop makes a sound when i plug in the flash drive.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Hello people! when i plug in flash drive in my laptop, it makes a sound of plugging a device in but flash drive is not appearing in my computer. Few days ago same flash drive was working as i had moved some data from the drive to my laptop. Today its not working, to make sure, i plugged in several other working flash drives but none of them are showing up.

To be honest, a week ago, my laptop was showing no internet even after connecting to my home wifi and it had same usb problem. To fix wifi problem, i ran the network reset. It fixed my wifi problem and my flash drive problem. I was happy as i got rid of both of the issues with one method. But today, my flash drive is not showing up again.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
You should be able to boot from a USB (your BIOS can directly access the USB ports ) so when you boot from a USB you are not using the the corrupted operating system on your hard drive, but the files on the USB. If you can not boot from a USB than you either have a bad USB install, a bad USB or another hardware problem, eg a bad motherboard.

rubber1997

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Well it sounds like a Windows update has irreparably corrupted your laptop and your going to need to do a clean install https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/ hopefully you can use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nt-start/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6 to save some files or use a linux boot disk or something like Gpart to access your laptop and save files.
thanks a lot brother, i appreciate it. will i able to save my files if my usb ports are not working? i think i will have to get this fixed by a professional. or can i try this on my own? thanks a ton for the help.

You should be able to boot from a USB (your BIOS can directly access the USB ports ) so when you boot from a USB you are not using the the corrupted operating system on your hard drive, but the files on the USB. If you can not boot from a USB than you either have a bad USB install, a bad USB or another hardware problem, eg a bad motherboard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.