Flash drive not showing up in "My computer"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik Hlavenka

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
I tried all USB ports with no success. Computer does make the sound suggesting that the device is connected but nothing shows up on screen. I tried to connect other devices and they all work fine, I tried to plug the drive to another Laptop and it showed up there. It is reocgnized in computer management but not in DIsk drivers but in USB controllers as Mass Storage but it shows an exclamation mark. I tried to klick on drivers update but it doesn't work, it says that it found the driver but the access was denied :( I'm desperate because I need that drive tomorrow for my school project, Thanks for any help. I have an HP 255 G1, WIndows 7 Ultimate

Patrik Hlavenka

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
SOmeone suggested me reinstalling my motherboard and chipset drivers, I'd love to do that but I have trouble finding them asi HP Website doesn't have anything, can someone help me with that? The motherboard type is Hewlett Packard 188b

pkpiyushkamble

Reputable
May 10, 2015
I tried this method and it's works...
Connect your pen drive which is not located in my computer. Go to device manager - universal serial bus controller -right click on USB mass storage device which is located by yellow exclamation mark- properties - driver- update driver - select Browse my computer for drivers software - select Let me pick from a list device drivers on my computer - double click on USB mass storage device shown in model box-and the problem is solved...

dmr12345

Reputable
May 16, 2015

dmr12345

Reputable
May 16, 2015
my flash drive does not show up under admin disk management
it is not computer but flash drive
computer keeps making sound like it is trying to recognize it
but nothing
how do i get the date off this device
and what is best flash drive to store data

honey_

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Matara Kankanange

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

kmotamed

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Nope, it is not showing up there either.

owen_id

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
Hello All,

I am facing the same issue with Toshiba Transmemory Flash Drive 16GB, it is not recognized on my windows 7. My C: and D: harddisk drives are always showing but the flash drive is not showing... I can see that the drive is online under Disk Management but I am wondering why I can't see it when I click on my computer

E-50

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2013

just like any flash memory device controller can die, and device becomes inaccessible
if you need data recovered then you would need something like this:

JdogAwesome

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Used Minitool Partition Wizard to wipe the drive then format it worked great for me! I originally put 2 flash drives in Raid 0 together on a Mac and I didn't have access to the Mac to undo it so I had to do it on my PC, this is what worked for me!

NOT_PROVIDED_726

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

Ehsan_4

Commendable
May 16, 2016
I had exactly the same problem. I finally found the solution.
Go to Device Manager, then under Disk Drives you will see your flash drive name.
Right click on it, then choose uninstall.
Then remove your flash drive and put it in again.

Bobbitz44

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
The first rule of . . . computing is reboot. I had the same thing happened. Flash drive didn't work on one computer but worked fine on others. Reboot, Sparky. All this other crap about needing to know the manufacturer etc. is someone who has way too much time and not enough sense. Probably some dopey guy. Girls rule! See if that works.

ChrisLawn

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I hope this is useful to someone. I tried virtually all the above suggestions but nothing worked for me. I then tried renaming the memory stick and it now works perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.