Question Flash drive or Mass Storage device only works after a computer restart

Mar 16, 2022
Hi, new to this forum but came across it when trying to rectify a usb storage device issue. I have exactly the same symptoms as with this now closed thread. ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-only-works-after-a-computer-restart.2200618/ )

I followed the fix info in the second last post, but nothing has changed. I am running windows 10 pro 64bit. I have updated all my drivers, I have also uninstalled usb controllers and reinstalled.

issue - When I start my pc, any external drive, usb, hard drive etc will work just fine. After I remove it, safely, but then decide to use it again, it makes the windows device inserted noise, but won't work, nor does it show up on task bar. In settings, it shows up, but with "driver error". In device management, it has the exclamation mark in yellow triangle.

If I unplug and insert a totally different usb device, it won't work either. I can only use if I restart the pc, but only once, for one device. When I right-click on the device in device management, this is the message I get... "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38) The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."

I have tried all the usb sockets I have, front and back.

Mar 16, 2022
Hello, here's the spec of pc...

ASUS PRIME Intel Coffee Lake H310M-R R2.0 Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel® Core™ i3-9100F 9th Gen Quad Core Processor (3.6GHz-4.2GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache Processor
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 (1x8GB)
2GB GeForce® GT710 Graphics Card
256 GB 2.5" SATA III SSD
1TB SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms
Integrated 7.1 High Definition 8-Channel Audio
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN Port
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

The bios is up-to-date, and I have just updated the chipset drivers.
The problem still exists. :-(

Mar 16, 2022
not a fix, I agree. I have contacted them as I am paid up to December. So I just have to get my subscription payment refunded now unless they can do a fix fast.

Mar 16, 2022
Reinstalled Bitdefender and now it all works. You would think they would send info/notifications via the av manager or even an email instead of leaving customers to figure it out on their own. Thanks for being here a whole load more than BD!!