Flash Kills the MacBook Air Battery 33% Faster

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@pasoleatis

im with teodoreh on this one, the answer could be pretty simple, not being able to see flash content could mean significantly less time browsing the internet which would result in better battery performance

a more meaningful comparison would be how much Megs was dl during those 4/6 hours, downloading data packets via wifi also puts a significant drain on your battery too, and im guessing any flash based content is going have significant megs attached to them

even on a flashed enabled machine, watching hulu will just about trash my battery much faster then your standard flash based content

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Wait... they should test the battery only on websites based on flash, and then on their counterpart with HTML5, for example create a playlist in youtube 6 hours long (pretty hard) and then play it again in html5. Just disabling flash and not displaying anything in flash for the "non flash" test seems pretty stupid. I thought this was a war between flash and html5, not between "flash" and "no flash". We all know "no flash" means a lot less ads and a very ugly web experience.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Did they happen to try testing this with GPU acceleration disabled? I could certainly see that power drain being compounded by double-dipping on the integrated GPU design.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Flash is more or less an open standard now, like PDF.. Apple doesn't want to write its own implementation. Adobe doesn't want to bother optimizing it for Mac with such a small market share or maybe it's just giving up on Flash.

But yeah, this wasn't a fair test. This should have been used equivalent HTML 5/Java/etc sites.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The first thing I do with my browser is block flash. It's a freaking nuisance and I rarely, RARELY, click the box to allow flash.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Instead of trying to fix the problems Apple has with Adobe Flash on their systems which obviously Microsoft has fixed and utilized - Apple blames Adobe for its incompetence. This is Apple's history, trying to do it their own way and they will fail if they don't change. Remember Apple was a failing company and it wasn't until Bill Gates came in - gave the little failing company millions to get it back on its feet. When Apple gutted all its own proprietary hardware, and starting using the hardware every other successful computer company had been using is when Apple turned around.

G

@User69

I would humbly disagree, personally i think they only turned around when they abandon their Mac platform altogether and pushed out the iPod, nearly all their most profitable and successful (arguably) products are derivatives of the iPod, in fact i would hazard that the Mac is now an afterthought in the apple product line

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So maybe, flash is something to be avoided on mobile devices altogether once its alternative (HTML 5) becomes prevalent.[/citation]

Markup language (HTML5) is not an alternative for a container object (.SWF). One exists within the other.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I would be more convinced of this HTML5 vs. Flash argument if HTML5 could exclusively reproduce the following (example) sites without flash container objects:

http://www.derbauer.de/
http://www.2advanced.com/

C'mon, all you MAC fanboi's who hate Flash? Show us...

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]That's pretty poor design on Apple's part. Flash doesn't significantly affect battery life on Windows laptops and netbooks.[/citation]
Apple has nothing to do with Adobe's proprietary software implementation. It is poor design on Adobe's part, and Apple has no control over it. An open standard like HTML5 however, Apple is free to implement and optimize how they see fit, so it makes sense that they want to steer people that way. As-is today, Apple is a slave to Adobe's poor implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.