Flashback: The Commodore 64 In Pictures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
No mention of JumpMan? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumpman
Man I played the he11 out of that game, that and impossible mission. I also had some nifty programs for copying ANY game disk, given to me by my uncle. So me and my friends shared all our purchased software.

I remember the endless days of typing in code for games found in magazines and books. Ah those were the days.

For those of you that mention long load times, you obviously didn't have the FastLoad cartridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epyx_FastLoad
This cartridge never left my computer unless I plugged in another game.

The C64 breadbox is where I got my start and the memories will always be fond. :)

bossie2000

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Good old C64 days ye!. But before that i mess around with my first computer the zx spectrum(sinclair).Back in the early 80's we thought
life can not improve on us.Well it did a hole lot much playing games like Far Cry 2 on a Phenom 2 quad with my 4850(boy does it run smoothly!!)

G

I started out on a VIC-20 and then upgraded straight to the C-128 (not the D) during high school. Never did go the C64 route. Oddly, I did most of my C128 use in CP/M mode using Microword (an early Wordstar clone) and an early CP/M spreadsheet program which I can't recall. Oh, and I remember spending hours and hours typing in those damn number sequences in order to get the software from Commodore magazine. For a few things the good old days were not so good.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
I upgraded from a TRS-80 Model I (Level II BASIC) to the C-64. I still have the RGB monitor in its original box in my parent's basement. The box is a little beat up, but I believe the monitor still works (haven't tested it in about 20 years). :)

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
I played Microprose's AH-64 Apache helicopter simulation "Gunship" on my C64. I became the first non-employee to earn the "Congressional Medal of Honor" award in the game and Microprose invited me down to their Hunt Valley, MD offices for a tour of their facility. When I got there they had a silk jacket (back when silk jackets were "cool") with a "Gunship Design Team" logo across the back and my name on the front. They also let me take a few of their new titles home. "Pirates" was one of those that I enjoyed as much as I enjoyed "Gunship". I was sad to hear when Microprose changed ownership.

G

I still have my SX-64. I love the games "Silent Service", "Gunship" & the "Train"(by Accolade). The thing that the C64 taught me was how to do strings. That is still important even today.

Also, for you hardcore fans, there are free C64 emulators available that will let you run C64 games in your PC. Ive downloaded some, but never actually tried them as I still have my Commodore System.

LionelHutz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Memories...

"Though the first Commodore 64 came equipped with a MOS 6410 processor that ran at about..."

This is a typo - it was a 6510.

I'm not sure if the euro 1541's looked different than the USA ones, but the pictures almost look like 1/2 height 1571's to me. I can remember that you could get the C64 for like $150-$200, but a freaking SERIAL-BASED FLOPPY DISK DRIVE cost over $300! And it was crippled in hardware which is why things went so slow. Commodore put in a software hack to bypass a hardware bug, and their software fix was horrible. Others came out with TurboLoaders that had better fixes - you'd get like 5-10x performance boosts.

Anyone remember the Star Micronix printers? They were only around $130 - good performers for the price.

How many power supplies did I go through? Lost count. Overheating cases. Man.

I remember loading Frogger on the Datasette took 8.5 minutes.

Remember when you could eventually get 5MB and 10MB hard disks for outrageous sums of money?

Oh yes - micromon and hex entry of assembly code from magazines. I was doing this when I didn't even have a device to save my work to! Don't shut of the computer, please!

I remember freaking out when I heard actual sampled human speech coming out of Beachhead II.

Thanks for sharing...

shovel

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah the CPU was the 6510 - a 6502 derivative if I remember correctly - which I think was used in Apple PCs at the time?

In 1985 I'd only been married for a year & paid $700AU for the new C64 home PC pack (included a TAPE DRIVE!) Nearly caused a divorce the amount of time I spent on that thing... Anyway the computer hobby eventually turned into an IT career like so many others.

G

I still have a TI99/4a we were poor and could not afford the commodore

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I remember bunching holes in the diskette to get "Double density" you could use both sides of the disk for data. Using VIC 20, cassette tape drive, and modem to get programs from off my friends C64 5 1/4" drive.

The best copy program at the time was RENEGADE. You had to later do some tricks with the floppy drive to spin and different RPMs to read copyprotected files.
Also had the fast load cartridge which added ram and had some shortcut keys that I don't remember what they are supposed to do. Did anyone use GEOS which was like MS Office with online components.
Favorite game was Ultima3&4. Zork and Oregon trail for earlier games. Yes, in these days you would start to load your program and went to lunch 30min later you were ready to go. These were the good'ole days. Technology pace was much slower too, years between CPU releases instead of months. I remember loading a program on 5 1/4" that took like 5 minutes to load and gave you like 5 seconds of actual voice through the synthesizer.

fadirocks

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
that tape player was seriously a nightmare to me, you keep waiting for the damn tape going through then boom you get an error message and have to do it from beginning again! argh loading a game was such a pain in da ....

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Wow, I gave up on page 12. Too much inaccurate, or at least, exagerated info. Pricing especially. I don't know, maybe Europe was different than here in Ohio. No one sold the C64 for more than $399us street price. Original 1541's were $199.00. The first monitor specifically for the C64 was the 1701 (yep, on purpose). I think it was $499us (can't be positive on that price though). Now, those were all street prices, not "MSRP".

Reading this makes me think someone just hit wikipedia and various web pages and compiled info about the C64.

OH, and the PET had a 5.25" drive back in 1978. Later models could store 1MB on a DSDD 5.25" disk.

Not to mention the C128B SUCKED as a C64 replacement. Anyone who ever used one knows that truth. I still have mine. Actually, none of the C128 line were good as a C64 replacement because almost none of the C64 software works on it.

mtngzr

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
wow, those were the days. We had a Commodore PET in our office in the early 80's, but I never got to use it. Before that, in the 60's, I used the IBM 1420 mainframe at the university of Buffalo to run Fortran calculations using punch cards. Then my employer bought a stand alone computer than did survey calculations and ran on punched tape. At home I had a TI something, just a keyboard, a 12" B&W TV and a tape recorder to store and run BASIC programs. Then in the mid 80's got a real PC, a Leading Edge 8088 desktop with an orange screen. Traded the 8088 4.77 mhz chip out for an NEC, I think, chip that ran at 7. something. Blinding speed!

G

It is also interesting to know, that C128 was able to output independent images to two monitors. This was thanks to it's "dual graphics" - one chip rendered c64-standard image (40 column it i remember properly) and the second a c128 image (80 column).

It was pretty awesome for that time...

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
For starters, not a single picture of the real original classic C64?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

"Though the first Commodore 64 came equipped with a MOS 6410 processor that ran at about 1 MHz(...)"

It was a 6510 running at 1 Mhz, which was basically the same as the 6502 used in the Apple 2 (and later in the 8-bit Nintendo), including the exact same instruction set, the numbering difference due to a few minor hardware changes.

Worth of notice was that American C64's weren't able to run many (if not most) of European action games. C64 games programmers relied a lot on raster interrupts - system interrupts which were triggered when the electron beam that forms the TV display reached a specified line - in order to achieve effects like sprite multiplexing (allowing for more than 8 hardware sprites on-screen at the same time). The trick was to update the hardware sprite's Y position once it had already been drawn on the screen, so that it could be used again on the same video frame. At least when the C64 got to a point where its resources were being used to their full extent by game programmers, probably far beyond what the computer's original designers ever thought would be possible on it, most games were being produced by European software houses. European C64's could run better games because European TV systems work at 50 Hz, while the American NTSC-M standard works at 60 Hz. This means that there were more processor clocks available to game programmers per video frame (1/50 > 1/60), and since most everything was synched to the video frequency and almost every available processor clock was used by game routines, most action-intensive games ended up not being playable on US C64's, and when they did, they would play faster, something that had a specially negative effect on the wonderful SID tunes.

There were also the incredibly talented musicians who created some of the most beautiful game soundtracks ever: the wonderful Last Ninja soundtrack by Ben Daglish; the absolutely classic Cybernoid 1 and 2 themes by the Maniacs Of Noise and M.O.N.'s leader Jeroen Tel, respectivelly; the Hawkeye soundtrack by the Maniacs Of Noise; the Delta soundtrack by Ron Hubbard; the Wizard soundtrack and software house Ocean's cassette loader tunes by Martin Galway; Tim Follin, David Whittaker, and too many others to mention here. Thanks, guys, your music marked many people's lives forever (including mine).

Due to some of the C64's video chip features, like hardware sprites (and the later development of multiplexing and other sprite management techniques) and the ability to position the video screen within an 8-pixel horizontal offset range, the C64 was the horizontal shoot'em'up games king. Armalyte by Cyberdine Systems, Katakis/Denaris (the game had its original name changed and its release delayed for a while due to the threat of a lawsuit by R-Type publishers), X-Out, Hawkeye and the Turrican games were some of the best examples of the C64 taken to its limits. Most people never realized, though, that due to the 6510 chip being quite slow, the games backdrops were actually made up of blocks of regular text characters, redefined to display the games graphics instead of text - the video chip allowed programmers to easily point to different data tables for the text character set.

Although the C64 did feature 64 KB of RAM, only about 38 KB were available for regular use, the rest being used by the Kernel ROM, which shared the same address space as the rest of the RAM. It was possible though to switch off the ROM in order to use the RAM beneath it, something game programmers inevitably had to do. Another issue was the slowness of the datasettes and also the 1541 disk drives, which led programmers to develop "fast loader" routines instead of using the built-in data loading routines.

As to magazines, British mags Zzap!64 and Commodore User were the world's best selling titles. The tapes with game demos that usually came attached to the magazines were another treat.

One regret from those magic times? Never having finished my own game project called "Search And Destroy", a shoot'em'up in the likes of Armalyte and Turrican. Well, maybe some day...

G

C64 doing nothing? are you crazy ??

C64 was THE GAMING machine back then, a single C64 with a floppy disk accelerator, a floppy driver and 200 games in floppy and you where in heaven, some instant clssics where: The Last Ninja saga, International Karate, Rambo (for its music, I have it recorded in MP3 !) Commando, I can't even remember the tons of good games that C64 had, it WAS truly a legendary machine for games, anyone that had one could tell you, btw, excellent article, we should do the same on our hardware review site, it IS an excellent idea :)

Good work guys, cheers from Argentina

Eagle / www.MaximoPC.org

G

I remember waiting 30 minutes for the tape drive to load up Blue Max, just so I could fly around and shoot things. Then there was Jumpman Jr., Defender, etc that took up so much of my time as a child...

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I was 9 years old when I got my C64 (the year it came out), my parents had put it on layaway for my birthday that year. By summer time I had scammed enough people out of quarters (.25$ pieces!) to get the 100$ tab that remained. I remember the original C64 book had some code in it to create like a piano, I must have inputed that code 20 times before I could finally save it onto a disc that Christmas when I got my first 1541 (which came to be broken, but commodore quickly took care of it).

I wish I could get that excited again about computers! *anyone play skate or die with Rush's Tom Sawyer theme song at the start?

boostercorp

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
i'm only 28 and i still remember those old boxes ...
i believe i ve seen a c128 lying around at work in the basement

maybe i'll try and get that sucker to run if i have the time

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Do the Amiga's next THG!!! I loved my C64 as the computer that let learn to program and play games, but for creativity nothing beat the Amiga's of the day not even mac's. It is hard to believe a computer that destroyed everything in its path like the Amiga did could not survive (says A LOT about closed systems).

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
sigh...time for ME to babble like an old man too...I had a 64, a dozen game cartridges, a floppy, a data-cassette reader, and perhaps 20 or so loadable games. Wish I had some of the other accessories but they were pricey! Geos was the first GUI I ever saw. I chuckle at the "does it play Crysis" comment - I must say that the games written for that hardware were wickedly optimized, all things considered. I eventually did save for that 1701 monitor - compared to the TV it was incredible. Eventually I gave it away - the monitor ended up serving some (no longer a) kid's SNES and Sega Genesis for many years - now it's probably in bumpers and headlights.

Let's remember THIS discussion in 20 years when we reminisce about the GTX 285's, 1.5TB sata drives and 30" 2560X1600 displays we all lust after right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.