[SOLVED] Flickering pixels and crashes games

Aug 4, 2018
Is my graphic card failing? I have a GTX960M and when i'm gaming alot of coloured pixels would be flashing around and reduce the fps by a whole lot even when playing games like LoL. After the flickering pixels it will often crash within a min.

Solution
Hi knightcecil0212,

The pixel flickering is call an artifact.
An artifact can be caused by 2 things :
1°/ You GPU is overHeating
2°/ GPU is dying.

But as you said, you have a big drop in framerate when artifact are arriving then complete crash. It means your GPU is overheating (artifacts) then it throttles (framerate drop).

I would recommend to open you laptop to clean the dust and do a TIM changement for both CPU and GPU.

Rodolphe.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi knightcecil0212,

The pixel flickering is call an artifact.
An artifact can be caused by 2 things :
1°/ You GPU is overHeating
2°/ GPU is dying.

But as you said, you have a big drop in framerate when artifact are arriving then complete crash. It means your GPU is overheating (artifacts) then it throttles (framerate drop).

I would recommend to open you laptop to clean the dust and do a TIM changement for both CPU and GPU.

Rodolphe.

Solution

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
The TIM is the Thermal Interface Material.
It's simply the thermal paste between a chip and the heatsink to improve heat transfert.

In your case, you have to open your laptop, disassemble the necessary to take of the heatpipe/heatsink, clean the old (and I think dusty) paste with alcool and paper towel, then reapply new pasteand reassemble everything.

Rodolphe.