Flickering screen on 1500xl laptop

I have a Gateway 1500xl laptop that is almost two years old, never had a
problem with it, the screen is starting to flicker a litle bit at start up
and then maybe once everynow and then while up and running. How much time to
you think I have before it goes and do you think it's worth having it fixed
when it does (money wise). A new dell of comparable specs these days goes
for $699.00

Thanks for the help,

Thetech

If the backlight is flickering, it's either the backlight bulb, inverter
(power supply) or both.
Parts: about $50; labor about $100 to repair.

Be very careful with the newer Dells, particularly the low-end 1150/5150 -
they have a bad reputation for overheating -- particularly the older 1100
and 5100.

"me,myself and moe" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway 1500xl laptop that is almost two years old, never had a
> problem with it, the screen is starting to flicker a litle bit at start up
> and then maybe once everynow and then while up and running. How much time
> you think I have before it goes and do you think it's worth having it
fixed
> when it does (money wise). A new dell of comparable specs these days goes
> for $699.00
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Thetech

Edward,

Is this something I could fairly easily do myself? I have experience with
electronics and computers, just not laptops.

And how tough would it be to find these parts that I need.

Thetech

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> If the backlight is flickering, it's either the backlight bulb, inverter
> (power supply) or both.
> Parts: about $50; labor about $100 to repair.
>
> Be very careful with the newer Dells, particularly the low-end 1150/5150 -
> they have a bad reputation for overheating -- particularly the older 1100
> and 5100.
>

> "me,myself and moe" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Gateway 1500xl laptop that is almost two years old, never had a
> > problem with it, the screen is starting to flicker a litle bit at start
up
> > and then maybe once everynow and then while up and running. How much
time
> > you think I have before it goes and do you think it's worth having it
> fixed
> > when it does (money wise). A new dell of comparable specs these days
goes
> > for $699.00
> >
> > Thanks for the help,
> >
> > Thetech

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

I replaced the LCD in a Solo laptop with no laptop experience at all, it
shouldn't be hard, took me about 45 minutes figuring it out on my own with
no directions. My biggest trouble with it all was getting the bezel open to
get the screen out, god that was annoying. And I'd check eBay for the
parts, tons of Solo parts are always up.

> Edward,
>
> Is this something I could fairly easily do myself? I have experience with
> electronics and computers, just not laptops.
>
> And how tough would it be to find these parts that I need.
>
> Thetech
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > If the backlight is flickering, it's either the backlight bulb, inverter
> > (power supply) or both.
> > Parts: about $50; labor about $100 to repair.
> >
> > Be very careful with the newer Dells, particularly the low-end
1150/5150 -
> > they have a bad reputation for overheating -- particularly the older
1100
> > and 5100.
> >

> > "me,myself and moe" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Gateway 1500xl laptop that is almost two years old, never had
> > > problem with it, the screen is starting to flicker a litle bit at
start
> up
> > > and then maybe once everynow and then while up and running. How much
> time
> > > you think I have before it goes and do you think it's worth having it
> > fixed
> > > when it does (money wise). A new dell of comparable specs these days
> goes
> > > for $699.00
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help,
> > >
> > > Thetech

Parts: www.jkllamps.com

It requires patience and some dexterity, but it's not unduly difficult.

"me,myself and moe" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> Edward,
>
> Is this something I could fairly easily do myself? I have experience with
> electronics and computers, just not laptops.
>
> And how tough would it be to find these parts that I need.
>
> Thetech
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > If the backlight is flickering, it's either the backlight bulb, inverter
> > (power supply) or both.
> > Parts: about $50; labor about $100 to repair.
> >
> > Be very careful with the newer Dells, particularly the low-end
1150/5150 -
> > they have a bad reputation for overheating -- particularly the older
1100
> > and 5100.
> >

> > "me,myself and moe" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Gateway 1500xl laptop that is almost two years old, never had
> > > problem with it, the screen is starting to flicker a litle bit at
start
> up
> > > and then maybe once everynow and then while up and running. How much
> time
> > > you think I have before it goes and do you think it's worth having it
> > fixed
> > > when it does (money wise). A new dell of comparable specs these days
> goes
> > > for $699.00
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help,
> > >
> > > Thetech

Thanks all for the info, saving it for future use should I need to do the
rapair. (hopefully not though). I'll just ad that I am a very satisfied
Gateway customer, this will be the first issue that I have had in two years
on a lap top that gets near constant use, i'd buy another gateway in a heart
beat (well fujitsu lifebook is what it really is!)