Question FM2 CPU upgrade?

Dec 8, 2019
I'm wanting to upgrade my pre-built Asus CM1745 with an AMD A8-5500 chipset on a F2A85-M motherboard. Do you think a cpu upgrade would be worth it? The cpu is bottle necking my GTX 1660 gpu. Thanks for the help!

InvalidError

Titan
The fastest CPUs on the QVL that you could put on there would be the Athlon X4 760K and A10-6800K which would be 20-30% faster than what you currently have.

Upgrading to a Ryzen 2600 on the other hand would more than double available computing power, albeit at the expense of about $250 in parts instead of $50-70.

Personally, I very much prefer upgrades that are noticeable under nearly all circumstances than incremental upgrades that require benchmarks to quantify because you can't always tell at a glance that the upgrade is really there.

Reactions: FreshOuttaaSchool

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For comparison, a 20-30% upgrade would be closer to 10-12fps at best on those old cpus. On a new platform you'd be looking at closer to 150-200% upgrade.

You could invest in the best cpu your platform will support, but it's general concensus that you'd be somewhat disappointed in the results. Pc's in general have come a very long way since your platform was mainstream.

Reactions: FreshOuttaaSchool