Question FML PC failed, cpu led is on but new cpu doesn't work either!!!!!

Feb 29, 2020
Watch the language
Let me give you guys specs first.

AMD 8350fx black edition
Cooler Master Heatsink
Asus sabertooth 990fx (original) am3+ socket
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8gigs
MSI twin frozer III graphics card x 2 was linked but only using one
Seasonic 1050w power supply (gold rating)
Corsair carbide 540 air case
OCZ ssd win 7 ultimate os

So, I built this rig back in 2012. Everything went well and so forth. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and I was gaming for about 30 minutes when the system went dark as if there was a temporary electrical outage. I looked around and everything was on except my pc. I hit the power button, click….nothing. I thought that the PS took a dirt nap so I called my brother and he had a 750w PS. I borrowed it from him came home reconnected that necessary items and I get a click…nothing.

I went back to my brother’s house, we used a multimeter and checked for power on each of the connections on the seasonic, everything was fine. Still getting that click sound but no power or boot up. So we chalked it up to it being a bad MB. I take my ssd and connect it to his rig and it shows up as a mass storage device..cool. Next day connected it to my laptop same thing MSD…cool. Leave for the day, laptop goes to sleep, come home and ssd locks up and becomes unexcessable…FML.

Go back to my brothers house borrow an MSI titanium MB running intel, it would not load up windows 10, but took windows 7. I ordered another MB (gigabyte 78LMT-usb3 r2 micro atx MB am3+ socket). By the time it uploaded 176 updates and installed them, new MB came in the next morning. I installed the MB, swapped everything over, and purchased a new thermaltake heatsink and only hooked up what needed to be hooked up. Still using 8350fx black edition, hit the power button….nothing , just a click…WTF?

I disconnected the cpu leads on the MB (gigabyte), hit the power button and the MB lights up and the cpu fan is running. Scratching my head at this point, it must be the CPU? Power supply is good (it ran the MSI titanium), MB is freaking new freshly delivered the day before. So I reinstalled my sabertooth and returned the gigabyte mb…and I happened to find and ordered a new (or so it claims) an amd 8300fx cpu. CPU came in last night while I was at work, came home this morning, and started the install.

Got new 8300fx cpu installed, fresh new thermal paste, reinstalled coolermaster heatsink, installed ram, and graphics card, and double checked connections. I didn’t connect Kingston ssd, I just want the mb to post so that I can go into bios and update the damn thing. Plugged power cord, turned power switch to on and……hit the power button………….click…….!!!! Are you kidding me, I can’t be that damn unlucky to get a new cpu DOA.

I double checked everything took the heatsink off, reconnected the cpu fan to MB or it won’t turn on. CLICK!!...Now I’m pissed and tired and need to sleep but not until I somewhat figure this out. I disconnect the CPU ps to mb, plug cord back on, turn switch on, hit the power button and the sabertooth mb starts working!? Ok, I'm thinking that I need to reset my bios, so I use the jumper to clear the cmos, wait 5-10 seconds, reconnect everything including 8 pin power supply to mb on sabertooth, hit power button…..CLICK nothing, no display, post or anything!

The whole time I didn’t notice that the CPU LED was on letting me know that something is wrong with CPU….well no duh LED, thanks for letting me know.

So here is my dilemma, new MB and old cpu = didn’t work (they are compitable), new cpu and old mb with cleared bios = didn’t work…..both do the same exact thing….no power when cpu lead is hooked up to mb, when cpu 8 pin lead is disconnected, mb works all the while cpu led light is on. Oh by the way on the sabertooth mb, green power light on mb is on.

So I am asking the community of Tom’s hardware to help me solve this damn puzzle, cause the next step is getting another am3+ socket mb (returned the other one) and putting the new 8300fx on there and if the takes a than its getting a hammer….jk.

Felix87871

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020
One more thing, I did check the pins on both cpu's and nothing is bent or damaged. Sorry for any confusion on the original post, I have been up all night at work and I need to get some sleep. I will post replies to anyone later on today before I leave for work.

If it starts out with just a click, make sure the mobo on the mounting pegs isn't too tight.
Also for the video card, make sure it is seated correctly, but not too tight or too loose on the case.

I had problems like this before and one of the two I mentioned might be your main problem.
Make sure, pwr, hdd, reset, and whatever case wires is on the proper spot stated by gigabyte manual.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-50/support#support-manual

When you have time later, please fix your first post, I could barely make out what your problem was.
Break it down some into paragraphs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020
If it starts out with just a click, make sure the mobo on the mounting pegs isn't too tight.
Also for the video card, make sure it is seated correctly, but not too tight or too loose on the case.

I had problems like this before and one of the two I mentioned might be your main problem.
Make sure, pwr, hdd, reset, and whatever case wires is on the proper spot stated by gigabyte manual.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-50/support#support-manual

When you have time later, please fix your first post, I could barely make out what your problem was.
Break it down some into paragraphs. Thanks.
Thank you for the reply! Did call Asus and they want me to report to them exactly what is going on with sabertooth motherboard so that they can replicate it.

To answer your questions...On the gigabyte, I followed all instructions when connecting. Still got the click, it's when I disconnected the 8 pin cpu lead that the motherboard powered up, figured it was the cpu and returned gigabyte mb. When I installed sabertooth MB to pegs I only turned until it gave resistance, video card I seated until I heard the locking click. I did take out the video and tried to turn it on without it and got the same issue. Going to report it to Asus and hopefully get an RMA done. At the same time I hope that my 8350fx black edition cpu isn't bad either...honestly it shouldn't be.

Feb 29, 2020
To anyone that is reading this, I cleaned up the wall and language. My apologies but I was just so frustrated as this is the only pc in the house and me and my wife lost all of our school work data on the ssd.