Folder on HDD showing larger than it actually is

Feb 4, 2019
I have a 3 TB WD Red, which I have had for around 2 years and it has been working fine, though in these last few weeks I have been experiencing weird issues with my torrent client that downloads to this hard drive. Originally I reinstalled my torrent client but that didn't fix anything, checked all drivers, which were OK and ran chkdsk /f which came back as OK and no bad sectors.

I noticed today that my music folder was seemingly larger than any other folder on the drive, when I check the root folder properties it comes back as the entire folder being larger that 3.6TB which isn't possible considering the drive is only 3TB. When I check the properties of the folder, it comes back with the correct size of 752GB. Programs like WinDirStat seem to show the data as correct but windows file explorer seems to have an issue with it.

I am currently backing everything up at the moment before doing a full drive reset, so I am unsure if it will just be something easy like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
I would backup all data away from the 3TB drive and then format the entire drive, create partitions as necessary and then copy over the data you previously backed up. See if that solves the issue.

Since you mentioned torrents, did you run a malware scan on the entire drive?

Feb 4, 2019
I have only run basic windows defender, which has come back fine, unsure if there is anything better or not to run? I do get all of my torrents from a private tracker, so they are a lot more reputable that public.
I have had a similar issue with another HDD i have installed in my PC, which is a WD black, it used to lock up nearly every time I would attempt to install games from Steam, normally unresponsive for around 30 seconds to 2 minutes maximum, but I haven't experienced that in some time, not sure if its relevant though.

Feb 4, 2019
So after a reformat, I have added my backups back onto the drive and it is still doing the same thing. Though curiously it is now assuming my Music folder is 103TB, when it is only around 700gb. I have found that the backup on a different drive is doing the same thing. I am unsure as to what would cause such an issue in the folder structure, as when I highlight the full folders contents, it correctly reports the 700gbs.

Feb 4, 2019
If it is any help, the folder structure is as follows:
X:/Music/Downloading/Complete/

The properties of the Music and every other folder give me ambiguous results, unless I check all properties within the "Complete" folder.

The "Complete" folder houses 59,276 Files and 5,083 Folders which equates to roughly 706 GB on disk.

Not sure if this information will help in anyway.