Followup to ISO Reliable Hard Drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

> Maybe you really have just been 'unlucky' and Maxtor should be replacing
the
> drive for you. RMA again. I've assumed that you tried the obvious, like
> replacing the IDE cable - or at least re-plugging it to clean the
contacts.
> I guess the error code you are getting from MaxBlast means something
> specific and if it has found a genuine problem then the drive is truely
> faulty.

I believe the drive is faulty.

I am also getting a steady stream of e-mails from other users of the 6Y120P0
that have had their drives die within minutes or days of installing it.
Looks like this drive model has a major problem. I wish those people had
answered my earlier question about reliable drives, as I would have avoided
this model. Hindsight is always 20/20.

> As far as the chipset driver is concerned, have you tried using the latest
> driver from the m/board or chipset manufacturers ? If you are running
> ATA-66 or ATA-100 then it will most probably be worthwhile, as would the
> best IDE cables you can get.
> Other than that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.
> Kevin.

I have some interesting problems with chipset drivers holding back from
upgrading to SP3 or SP4. I found out that Gigabyte still has the same driver
version since 2 years ago as the latest. I'm using that version. I cannot
run SP3 or SP4. I think I need SP3 for the WD 160 GB drive to support 48 bit
LBA. But I tried updating to SP4 last month so that I could install a very
important application that won't install on SP2, and having done so, found
that my RAID array would freeze the entire system when reading but not when
writing. I could not even play a video stream--it was 3-4 seconds of play,
20 seconds of frozen system (even the mouse pointer), 3-4 more seconds of
play, 20 seconds freeze, etc. Went back to SP2, and the problem went away.
But I need to install my application, so I MUST solve the RAID
incompatibility with SP3/4.

Curiously, I have the next newer model (7DXR+) from Gigabyte on my other
computer and it has a different RAID chip that supports ATA133. It's running
on SP4 and it's fine.

I think the WD drive's asymmetrical read/write performance may be due to not
having SP3 or greater. It may be addressing the drive in some less direct
way, lacking the 48-bit LBA addressing in SP2, thus slowing the reads?
That's my hunch.

So I have a catch 22 here. Upgrade Windows, lose the RAID. Don't upgrade,
lose the software and the primary hard drive performance.

Gigabyte has been zero help with this problem so far. And communicating with
them is a pain in the *ss because they don't give an e-mail that you can
reply to--you have to use a lengthy web form each time. Been tackling this
for two weeks now.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 02:05:19 -0400, "Mark & Mary Ann Weiss"
<mweissX294@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Maybe you really have just been 'unlucky' and Maxtor should be replacing
>the
>> drive for you. RMA again. I've assumed that you tried the obvious, like
>> replacing the IDE cable - or at least re-plugging it to clean the
>contacts.
>> I guess the error code you are getting from MaxBlast means something
>> specific and if it has found a genuine problem then the drive is truely
>> faulty.
>
>I believe the drive is faulty.
>
>I am also getting a steady stream of e-mails from other users of the 6Y120P0
>that have had their drives die within minutes or days of installing it.
>Looks like this drive model has a major problem. I wish those people had
>answered my earlier question about reliable drives, as I would have avoided
>this model. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I would tend to suspect your "cheap import" power supply, but if indeed
this is a defect particular to this drive, you might see if any of the
major online websites would be interested in doing a story, helping to
accumulate more data... if there's anything that can uncover or rebuke a
problem like this, it's getting that out in the public where more people
have a chance to see it.

>> As far as the chipset driver is concerned, have you tried using the latest
>> driver from the m/board or chipset manufacturers ? If you are running
>> ATA-66 or ATA-100 then it will most probably be worthwhile, as would the
>> best IDE cables you can get.
>> Other than that, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.
>> Kevin.
>
>I have some interesting problems with chipset drivers holding back from
>upgrading to SP3 or SP4. I found out that Gigabyte still has the same driver
>version since 2 years ago as the latest. I'm using that version. I cannot
>run SP3 or SP4. I think I need SP3 for the WD 160 GB drive to support 48 bit
>LBA. But I tried updating to SP4 last month so that I could install a very
>important application that won't install on SP2, and having done so, found
>that my RAID array would freeze the entire system when reading but not when
>writing. I could not even play a video stream--it was 3-4 seconds of play,
>20 seconds of frozen system (even the mouse pointer), 3-4 more seconds of
>play, 20 seconds freeze, etc. Went back to SP2, and the problem went away.
>But I need to install my application, so I MUST solve the RAID
>incompatibility with SP3/4.

You are not required to get ANY drivers from Gigabyte. The chipset
drivers for AMD & Via southbridge are available from the respective chip
manufacturer, as is the promise raid driver. A newer Gigabyte bios might
be needed though to update the raid bios, if they have. Technically it's
possible to manually update just that RAID bios, or even to use one that's
been modified to provide FULL raid support of the non-lite controller, for
example:
http://www.anycities.com/user/mainboards/giga/giga.html

>Curiously, I have the next newer model (7DXR+) from Gigabyte on my other
>computer and it has a different RAID chip that supports ATA133. It's running
>on SP4 and it's fine.
>
>I think the WD drive's asymmetrical read/write performance may be due to not
>having SP3 or greater. It may be addressing the drive in some less direct
>way, lacking the 48-bit LBA addressing in SP2, thus slowing the reads?
>That's my hunch.

No, they're just slower drives. Their strength is in the caching
algorithm, making them better suited to simultaneous accesses rather than
a single linear use such as video editing.

>So I have a catch 22 here. Upgrade Windows, lose the RAID. Don't upgrade,
>lose the software and the primary hard drive performance.
>
>Gigabyte has been zero help with this problem so far. And communicating with
>them is a pain in the *ss because they don't give an e-mail that you can
>reply to--you have to use a lengthy web form each time. Been tackling this
>for two weeks now.

All you can likely get from Gigabyte is the latest bios.