Question For backing up media to an external drive do you recommend dragging and dropping or using software?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
For backing up stuff like music, podcasts, games, etc, do you recommend dragging and dropping, using software that comes with Western Digital drives, or is there a better method? I just want to backup some content on a data drive once in awhile and probably will only have my external drive connected sometimes. I assume dragging and dropping will only copy new files if I later drag the same folder a couple weeks later?

For backing up stuff like music, podcasts, games, etc, do you recommend dragging and dropping, using software that comes with Western Digital drives, or is there a better method? I just want to backup some content on a data drive once in awhile and probably will only have my external drive connected sometimes. I assume dragging and dropping will only copy new files if I later drag the same folder a couple weeks later?
I backup system drive as well as game disk and application disk (all SSDs) using Macrium Reflect. I don't keep any personal files (pictures, music, movies and other data) on any of those disks. Those that I consider personal files are kept on another large HDD with most important ones in own folder with sub folders according to type of files. As needed (depending on importance) I just "drag and drop" them to external disk kept offline. Only problem may arise when you have same files that are updated or changed in mean time which can overwrite older ones. If that's the case windows will ask you what to do, overwrite, change name or abort, that is personal decision you have to make for each one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
For backing up specified files, I'm a fan of Bvckup 2. In addition to my cloud backup, this program will check my directories every morning at 7 AM and only spend time backing up new or changed files.

bvckup2.png

popatim

Titan
I like Synctoy2.1 myself since I don't use compressed backups. It will save my pairings so all I have to do is simply run them again (it does work under win10) and walk away while it copies the files to the destination. It keeps track of new & updated files all on it's own,

Reflect is what i use to clone or image a drive and is one of the best products ever.