For my System what form of cooling would be best?

Shenzi98

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hey, im building a new pc and am confused as to what form of cooling i should go for, im looking to spend a total of under 200 to adequately cool my system, noise isnt much of an issue. i also do plan on overclocking my Cpu. thanks guys ive been trying to get my head around this but am fairly new to the pc building world:)

My Specs:
-Fractal design r5
-i5 6600k
-Gigabyte gaming 5
-Msi 1070 gaming extreme
-240gb hyperx fury SSD
-Ripjaws V ddr4
-2tb seagate hdd
-Antec 650 WATT gold supply

Solution

My personal preference is to look at a closed loop water cooler system. A lot of people will tell you that you can get the same or better cooling with a high end air cooler- and while this *is true on an open test bench* the problem is the heat gets dumped inside...

My personal preference is to look at a closed loop water cooler system. A lot of people will tell you that you can get the same or better cooling with a high end air cooler- and while this *is true on an open test bench* the problem is the heat gets dumped inside your case with these coolers.

I had terrible issues with this with my system (albeit using a rather power hungry AMD fx cpu), switching to a closed loop setup resolved the issue as all the waste heat is ejected nicely out of the back. As the system was cooler it also took noise levels way down as all the fans were working less.

That case is good for cooling- the PSU being mounted at the bottom means that heat is ejected out of vents underneath the case. Something from the Corsair 'H' range of water coolers would probably do the trick nicely and give you some overclocking headroom (I guess it depends on exactly how hard you want to push your overclock?).

Edit: One thing to keep in mind if using a closed loop setup is it doesn't cool the motherboard- so you need to make sure there are sufficient case fans to keep the motherboard VRM's cool with overclocking. A good quality board should have heat sinks on the VRMs which should help.

Solution

Shenzi98

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

cheers man, was having trouble with this, one question though, would you suggest i swap my psu in for one of higher wattage or would 650 gold suffice, thanks again mate, really helpful.

650W should be plenty for that setup, a GTX 1070 for example only uses around 160W so there's plenty of headroom. You'd only need to consider more if you plan on going SLI in the future (although that tends to be more trouble than it's worth- your usually better off getting one faster card than two slower ones in SLI due to frame pacing or driver issues).