for people who needs DDR3 RAM for ASRock G41C-GS

arandomdudefromslo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
THIS GUIDE IS FOR DDR3 MEMMORY!

This is not a question, so no need to answer! Its for people who want to buy RAM for ASRock G41C-GS and have struggles to find it!

-------------------------------------------
First of all this "Guide" is for DDR3 RAM on a ASRock G41C-GS! (Or any mobo with G41 chipset probably)

My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
8Gb DDR3 1600 ( underclocked to 1333)
GTX 750Ti
ASRock G41C-GS
850W PSU
---------------------------------------------
So i had DDR2 RAM for quite a wihile now, and went for a upgrade to DDR3 8Gb 1600Mhz. And yes i know the motherboard support only 1333Mhz, but good luck finding that RAM.

I asked alot of questions on this website, of which i got alot of good answers, which helped me to get some RAM for my mobo.

----------------------------------------
First method to find RAM:
Go to Crucial's website and click RAM compatibility, and select your Motherboard. It will list all RAM's, that have been tested and WORK on that motherboard.

IF there is no RAM compatible on that website, search for some RAM sticks with:
16 cells ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/images/RAMDoubleSide.png )
and the following specs:

DDR3 PC3-12800
CL=11
Unbuffered NON-ECC
DDR3-1600
1.5V
512Meg x 64

If you find a RAM that has got all of those above, it will most likely work on your motherboard.

-----------------------------------------
When you install DDR3 RAM, and you had DDR2 RAM in it before, you will NEED to set the FSB1 Jumper in the 2-3 position (look in the manual for it)
IF the PC DOES NOT BOOT (No beeping, Fans spinning)

THEN reset the CMOS (Look in the manual again). This should do the trick.

AND:
-The motherboard DOES NOT support DDR2 + DDR3 combined (you cant use both at a time)

-----------------------------------------

Long Story Short:
-Look for Compatibility with your motherboard on Crucial, G.Skill,...

-IF you dont find any, look for specific RAM specs i listed in the post

-The modules MUST be Low-Density

- They need to have 16 cells (IF the RAM is DDR3, if DDR2 there are only 8 cells)

-Set the Jumper, Reset CMOS if it doesnt boot.

----------------------------------------
If i missed anything type it in the comments!

Tried my best to explain it :)

Solution
Thanx for this, it's a common problem with all socket 775 mobos that can run DDR3 and also with 1156 and 1366 mobos that were designed for the 'then' DDR3 when it was made with low density memory ICs (chips). 2010/11 was the rough time frame when DDR3 all went to high density ICs. For low density I tend to recommend the GSkill NT series of Value DRAM which is still available

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Thanx for this, it's a common problem with all socket 775 mobos that can run DDR3 and also with 1156 and 1366 mobos that were designed for the 'then' DDR3 when it was made with low density memory ICs (chips). 2010/11 was the rough time frame when DDR3 all went to high density ICs. For low density I tend to recommend the GSkill NT series of Value DRAM which is still available

Solution

Ricky_28

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I did go to Crucial and did their system scan to find compatible ram. Bought it and it doesn't work. I get 3 short beeps. I've changed slots, changed the jumper setting and removed the battery. Still the same thing. Any ideas?

arandomdudefromslo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Set the jumper for DDR2 memory, and try again, then set it for ddr3. My jumper is set to ddr2 memory but i've got ddr3 memory.

Try resetting cmos? I have a new pc now and i forgot some things about this mobo

Ricky_28

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
In the beginning I installed the crucial ddr3 ram they recommended. Left the settings for ddr2. Unplugged the pc and removed the cmos battery as well as pushing the powerbutton to discharge any stored power. It would boot but wouldn't beep or show video. I changed the jumper setting to ddr3 did the above and rebooted. 3 short beeps repeatedly. Changed slots from number 1 to number 2 still nothing. Double checked to make sure the ram was the same as I ordered it was correct.

arandomdudefromslo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Are your sticks 4gb each? Low density (i think its that), 16 cells, non-ecc, unbuffered memory? Can you link me the ram sticks?
First of all try only one memory stick, jumper in DDR2 and DDR3, if it boots then its fine,
I turned on and off my computer alot of times (Turned on my PC, if it didnt boot I turned it off and repeated the process)

Ricky_28

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Here is the link. It's one stick of 4gig ram by Crucial. As you'll see on the site they say it's compatible and I did contact them and ask. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/g41c-gs-r2*0/CT6901031 For some reason that link didn't work but here is info from the page

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM
product information
Product Specifications
Brand Crucial
Form Factor UDIMM
Total Capacity 4GB
Warranty Limited Lifetime
Specs DDR3L PC3L-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1600 • 1.35V • 512Meg x 64 •
Series Crucial
ECC NON-ECC
Module Qty 1
Speed 1600 MT/S
Tracer False
Voltage 1.35V
DIMM Type Unbuffered
Bullet Features Increases system performance
More information
DDR3L 240-pin DIMM

Desktop modules that operate at speeds up to 1600 MT/s and have a CL11 latency. It is dual voltage and can operate at 1.35V or 1.5V. It is Unbuffered and is non-ECC. It conforms to the industry standard UDIMM layout of 240 pins and is compatible with computers that take DDR3 UDIMM memory.

A dual inline memory module (DIMM) consists of a number of memory components (usually black) that are attached to a printed circuit board (usually green). The gold pins on the bottom of the DIMM provide a connection between the module and a socket on a larger printed circuit board. The pins on the front and back of a DIMM are not connected to each other.

Each 240-pin DIMM provides a 64-bit data path (72-bit for ECC or registered or Fully Buffered modules).

To use DDR3 memory, your system motherboard must have 240-pin DIMM slots and a DDR3-enabled chipset. This is because a DDR3 SDRAM DIMM will not fit into a standard DDR2 DIMM socket or a DDR DIMM socket.

The number of black components on a 240-pin DIMM can vary, but it always has 120 pins on the front and 120 pins on the back, for a total of 240. 240-pin DIMMs are approximately 5.25 inches long and 1.18 inches high, though the heights can vary. While 240-pin DDR3 DIMMS, 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs, 184-pin DDR DIMMs, and 168-pin DIMMs are approximately the same size, 240-pin DIMMs and 184-pin DIMMs have only one notch within the row of pins. I did write Asrock support but haven't heard back yet.

arandomdudefromslo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Ah looks like its DDR3L, which i think does not work...

arandomdudefromslo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

I have no clue, first time hearing about this motherboard. I'd just buy a DDR3 memory module

Ricky_28

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks for the help. I just RMA'd it. Getting my money back. They guaranteed it to work and it shouldn't be this much trouble. My friend just gave me a Vostro 270 i3 with 4gigs of ddr3 so I have an upgrade over this pc. I'm hoping I can transfer the parts into this case. Which would be nice.

arandomdudefromslo

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Nice to hear that!
Your friend is awesome!

driftingcris

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
hey guys. i am building a pc for a friend. his motherboard is asrock g41c-gs, and i am trying to find some compatible ram.
i found a 4gig dimm for a good price, but i cant find its specs anywhere. can someone help me? its a kingston 1333 dimm.
its part number is kingston khx1333c903b1/4g.
Thanks in advance!

Ratlle

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Hi ! i'm too for now in to 775 lga G41C-GS R2.0 ,want to upgrade to the max this sys.Found this Qumox DDR3 1333 PC3-10600 (240 PIN) CL 9 . I see a slight difference so, would it work ?