For which one should I go..

This is what my official Sony website says about my RAM..
ce49bc.jpg

This is what my CPU-Z's Memory tab says..
lcve.jpg

Now my laptop's memory is really 1066 MHz or my laptop just uses 533 only?
I'm gonna upgrade, so what speed should I choose?

Solution

Yes, but the only RAM available is more expensive...

By upgrading, I meant more memory not speed.. I was on a doubt that I should get new sticks in the market with 533 MHz or 1066 MHz? CPU-Z shows half the rate and the product boxes those in the market suggests the full speed? For example, this RAM

byza

Honorable
Your ram is running at full speed, with CPU-Z you need to double the DRAM Frequency to get the speed that your RAM is running at.

As for the RAM you selected, it will not fit in a laptop. Laptops use different size and shape memory sticks, which even differ between laptops. You would need to find out the size and shape memory that your laptop uses then search for that specific memory.

Now I'm confused, how can I double the DRAM frequency using CPU-Z? Also, I gave that RAM (I found it is 1600 MHz from the model number) link just to ask whether the system with that RAM installed, will the CPU-Z on that system will show 800 MHz or 1600 MHz on the memory tab? (not for upgrading my laptop)..

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No, CPU-Z indicates the true freq the DRAM runs at (532.), that the actual freq of the DRAM....Now then, this is DDR (DOUBLE data rate) so it runs at DOUBLE the freq so 532 x 2 = 1064 effective - your DRAM is 1066 so you are basically right on target

Now I understand, can you please select a suitable laptop RAM from this website with the same speed and CAS Latency timings?

byza

Honorable
You need to open your laptop and look at the RAM stick, it will hopefully have a PC number. I'm pretty sure it will be PC10600 but it's possible that it is PC10666 or even a different number. To ensure that you get the correct RAM, you need to know this number. Alternatively it should have a model number and it might be possible to find the PC number using that information.

byza

Honorable
I've seen PC/3 (everywhere i've looked in Aus leaves off the 3 but to my understanding the 3 correlates to DDR3 RAM)designations 10600, 10666 and 12800 with 1333MHz advertised speed. I know the PC number has associations with speed, but to my understanding it also had something to do with compatibility?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
10600, 10666 correlates to 1333 (667 true freq) sticks as 8500 is to 1066 sticks (533 true freq), 12800 is to 1600 (800 true freq) sticks, 14900 is to 1866 (933 TF) sticks - all simply 2 different designators for a particular freq of sticks so for each there is true freq say 800, what it's considered 1600 (due to being DDR (DOUBLE data rate)) and then the 12800 which is the theoretical number of M/Ts (mega transfers per second (roughly MegaBytes)) it can handle in a single clock cycle Confused yet?

byza

Honorable
Haha no I can follow. What confused me is when I was looking for RAM for my laptop, I saw 10600, 10666 and 12800 with an advertised speed of 1333MHz. I knew it had to do with speed, so I figured 10600 and 10666 were close enough, but when I saw 12800@1333MHz, I thought it must have been compatibility, in a similar way to how M.2 has different sizes and keys.

You've searched for 1333MHz in that web link I provided, but 1066 is enough for me, right?

byza

Honorable

Yes, but the only RAM available is more expensive.
http://www.flipkart.com/computers/computer-components/rams/pr?p%5B%5D=facets.capacity%255B%255D%3D4%2BGB&p%5B%5D=facets.device%255B%255D%3DLaptop&layout=grid&p%5B%5D=sort%3Dpopularity&sid=6bo%2Cg0i%2Cs5u&otracker=start&q=1066

Solution