[SOLVED] Force boot from external USB without BIOS access

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Hi
Need to create a bootable USB stick using UnetBootin. Once I have the USB startup created, how do i force my PC to boot from it?

I CANNOT access the bios because there is no video display currently.(my reason for creating the bootable USB stick in the first place)

Solution
If you were to physically disconnect all hard drives, it would probably go down the list until it finds something USB to boot from.
A Linux Live CD/USB.

USAFRet

Titan

If you can't see the screen, you can't change the boot options.

Why are you doing this?
What, exactly, is wrong with the system?

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
thanks. So zero chance it has something to do with either an OS or driver update? Just need to rule that out. Hence the USB stick. I'm kind of stumped as it doesn't seem to be a specific hardware failure issue.
-monitor is fine
-cable is fine
-both GPUs are receiving power
-no error messages on mobo

Answering my question but
On the UnetbootIn page it suggest pressing F12 or Esc right after powering on should force an external boot.

at this point we are going to need a lot more information and your computer specs but first let's start off with if this is a PC you just bought/ built or you had the PC for a while and this started happening

USAFRet

Titan

Not "0", but highly highly unlikely.

Give us a rundown of the full parts list, and exactly what is happening with it.
What was the last thing you did before this happened?

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
last thing I did was shut down the day before:)
I do seem to recall a popup for a routine Ubuntu system update as I was shutting down and the day prior I had also updated my Nvidia driver. My system otherwise seems to boot normally. ie after manually resetting CMOS (button on rear of mobo) and rebooting I could hear the fans at a higher rpm meaning the reset was successful. Just no video display!

Asus X399 Extreme Mobo
dual Titan Volta GPUs (non SLI)
AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper 1950X CPU
1200W Platinum PSU

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015

My 2nd custom build. Has been running fine for the past year or so. Rock solid. Installed the 2nd GPU about 3 months ago. Configured as dual boot Windows-Ubuntu mate. I normally log into BIOS when I want to switch between OS.
I NEVER manually install drivers. Always go thru Software & Updates.

TRENDING THREADS