Format a hard drive?

sciamwow

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hey guys,
I just finished my first build (Woop woop!) and everything is running smoothly. Everything is on a new 1tb HDD that I bought. If I want to format my old 500gb HDD and install it into the new build as well, what steps do I need to take? The old PC is on Windows 7 and the new is Windows 8.1
Thanks!

Solution
oh sorry, I misunderstood...

There are no special considerations to take... just connect the drive, windows 8.1 will detect it and install drivers... then just format it as you would any other drive (like a usb drive) :)

No considerations except everything will be wiped, backup anything you don't want to lose ... (had to make sure)

sciamwow

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

I already have the PC running with windows. I want to add the 500gb drive for additional storage

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
oh sorry, I misunderstood...

There are no special considerations to take... just connect the drive, windows 8.1 will detect it and install drivers... then just format it as you would any other drive (like a usb drive) :)

No considerations except everything will be wiped, backup anything you don't want to lose ... (had to make sure)

Solution

hwc1954

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Yeah. Just plug it into your new computer -- probably SATA cable and SATA power connection. Boot up the computer. It'll recognize the drive. Probably call it drive D:.

If you want to format it, just find the drive in Windows Explorer and right click. It'll have FORMAT as one of the pop-up menu choices.

You can even change the name of the disk or assign a different drive letter or change partitiions using Windows Disk Management utility.

sciamwow

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

Got it. Thanks!

sciamwow

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

Thank you!