[SOLVED] Formatting an internal hdd from my old PC

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
Hey guys! I have a couple of old hdds that I just managed to take out of my old rig, and now I wanna get rid of them, but I'd like to format them first. I was wondering how I should go about it, and if I could just maybe plug them into the motherboard like I would an external HDD? One hdd has an OS in it, while the other has nothing but files. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help!

Solution
that depends on what data u got on it... if u use just normal format...all data can be recovered (as only partition table gets destroyed, data like files/folders all remains)
if data are important and u really dont want others to see content, u should secure erase it (rewriting all drive sectors with dummy values)
https://download.cnet.com/Active-KillDisk/3000-2248_4-10073508.html?tag=mncol;2
this tool is free

just a side note...experienced users can recover data even after secure erase...if data are crazy important....u will need to run it multiple times
that depends on what data u got on it... if u use just normal format...all data can be recovered (as only partition table gets destroyed, data like files/folders all remains)
if data are important and u really dont want others to see content, u should secure erase it (rewriting all drive sectors with dummy values)
this tool is free

just a side note...experienced users can recover data even after secure erase...if data are crazy important....u will need to run it multiple times

Solution

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
this tool is free

thanks! will check out the app. How do I get to formatting, though? Is it possible to just plug this hdd into my new pc? is there something I need to do in the bios, and restart my pc, or can I just plug it in while my pc is running?

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
u can plug your drive while its running if u have external hookup (usb or e-sata)
if u dont have any of those, then u neeed to power down your pc before pluggin your drive
I tried shutting down my pc before plugging in the hdd, but when I turn my pc on, it doesn't seem to detect the hdd. The hdd itself doesn't seem to be "spinning", although Im not sure if it should be even if it's not detected. These hdds have been on the shelf for about a year now, is it possible that they just don't work anymore?