Question Formatting an old Lenovo B575

Alexandre cl

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
I have an old Lenovo B575 which won't load windows (7) anymore. It says code 101: initialization failed, then it starts auto repairs and says I'll need to use a recovery tool or an installation media. So I tried booting from a windows 7 disk, and then it says windows is loading files, but nothing happens once the loading bar is full (I've let it stay there for over an hour).

No clue what to do, your advice is very much appreciated.

Alexandre cl

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Try to make a USB installation with Win10 to see if it works. Win10 is free to use, for your laptop you should use the 32-bit version.
When I tell it to boot from the USB key most of the times I tried it went to a black screen and nothing happened. This one time it went to an orange screen with white vertical lines on it and nothing else. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Alexandre cl

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
You need to flash the iso image to the usb stick with a appropriate software, or it won't boot.

Here is a random recipe <link> on how to use Rufus to flash an iso image. If that doesn't work, then try some alternatives to rufus.
I used MS's MediaCreationTool22H2 for windows 10 installations and told it to make a USB flash drive. Is that not what I should have downloaded?

Last edited: